California Institute of Technology
The Manager of Gifts and Records is a full-time professional staff position reporting to the Director of Systems and Technology in Advancement Services. The Manager is responsible for ensuring the appropriateness, timeliness, consistency and accuracy of all aspects of both gift processing and financial and biographical data uploaded or entered to the Institute's alumni/development database (currently Millennium). Responsibility includes management of the gift processing and records staff and coordination and communication with the Director, systems administration and report development staff, prospect managers, and other system users and constituents dependent upon the quality of the data. The Manager will actively work with other Institute departments, including Gift and Endowment Accounting, Treasury Services, the Investment Office as well as all academic divisions to coordinate the receipt and processing of all private gifts and pledges to the Institute. S/he will handle inquiries from internal and external constituents and be proactive and proficient at identifying and preventing or resolving problems. The Manager will also serve as the coordinator for the setup and tracking of gift agreement templates. The manager will maintain and manage the Development & Institute Relations (DIR) and Board approved Gift Acceptance Policies and Procedures, and work to ensure these are well known and followed as gift and pledges are discussed and received for processing and transfer to Treasury Services and the Gifts and endowment office. S/he must understand the mission of DIR and how the Advancement Services department functions in support of that mission.
- Hire, train, supervise and develop the gift processing and records team; oversee daily operations. Ensure consistency of clear, efficient, appropriate processes and tools to facilitate the workload and ensure quality outcomes.
- Ensure appropriateness and distribution of the Approved Gift Acceptance Policies and Procedures.
- Establish and manage Gift Agreement templates in coordination with the Development leadership. Coordinate periodic updates as needed. Notify leadership when anomalies or issues with gift agreements are evident.
- Establish and maintain the highest standards of accuracy in the receiving, processing, documenting and recording all gifts, pledges, payments, gift designations, donor intentions, gift receipting and acknowledgement processes assigned to the Gifts and Records team.
- Develop and maintain scanned documentation for all gifts in agreement with DIR standards and coordination with Gifts and Endowment Office for gift agreements.
- Ensure effectiveness of procedures for tracking, administration and reporting of pledge and complex gifts including but not limited to matching gifts, "TBD" gifts, stock gifts, gifts-in-kind, and multi-designation gifts.
- Work with the Institute's Investment Office to ensure the timely recording and transfer of stock and securities gifts to the Institute.
- Proactively investigate, resolve, document and communicate problems including but not limited to those when a) a gift is expected but has not been received, b) a gift is received but donor and/or donor intent are not known, c) "TBD" gifts are recorded but not designated in a timely manner.
- Initiate action and coordinate closely with Donor Relations to ensure that gifts acknowledgements are timely and appropriate.
- Establish protocols and ensure accuracy of constituent records. Develop mechanisms and periodically conduct data audits to confirm data accuracy, consistency and compliance with Gift Acceptance Policies as well as the Caltech, DIR, Federal, Industry and State regulations. Plan and manage data "clean up" projects related to known problems, systems upgrades or conversion, and other special circumstances.
- In collaboration with Director, identify, analyze, recommend and implement constituent database enhancements. Maintain code files and tables, updating as required. Identify user/constituent training needs and in collaboration with Director and others, plan and deliver ongoing training.
- Ensure absolute compliance with Institute cash management and audit directives and with all DIR, Institute, federal (IRS, Accounting (FASB), Industry (CASE) and state policies and regulations related to the work of the department. Respond to inquiries from administrators, staff, alumni, and other university offices relating to gifts, pledges, and financial statistics. Research and recommend solutions to problems.
- In consultation with Director, oversee requests for exceptions or changes to records, operating practices or policies. Prepare various statistical analyses, survey responses and progress reports including those for external agency reporting requirements (e.g., CAE, external auditors, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree; preferably in accounting, business or a related area.
5+ years professional experience in direct work management of a Gifts and Records team.
Demonstrated professional knowledge of the industry standards, practices in Gifts and Records processing including IRS, FASB, CASE standards and with annual gifts audits and compliance in similar types of institutions.
Demonstrated experience and skills with major fundraising systems and their gifts and records management processes and procedures.
Experience with operational and technical aspects of relational databases and web-based applications.
Proven ability to function with a high degree of autonomy and exercise independent judgment in the development, interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
Ability to deal sensitively with confidential information.
Supervisory experience in a data and technology intensive, service provider environment.
Proven ability to lead in a team-oriented, collaborative, service-oriented environment.
Familiarity with Sage's Millennium software.
Experience managing in an institutional advancement (development) organization.
Proficiency with Crystal Reports and Microsoft Access.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
California Institute of Technology - 15 months ago