The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law seeks a Manager of Major Donor Relations to be part of a dynamic fundraising team working to take the Center ’s funding from individuals to a new level. The Brennan Center ’s efforts to fight for voting rights, campaign finance reform, and racial justice have recently gained new levels of prominence and opened up new fundraising opportunities. The Center currently has a $10 million budget and a portfolio of $2.5 million in major gifts. The Manager will be primarily responsible for growing the Center ’s major donor program through establishing, maintaining, and deepening relationships with current and prospective major supporters. |
Ideal candidates will be both team- and growth-oriented, have excellent written and oral communications skills, and possess a Bachelors degree along with a minimum 3-5 years major gift or related fundraising relationship management experience preferably with a think tank, legal, or advocacy organization. The position reports to the Director of Development and works closely with the President and Trustees. The Manager oversees a Coordinator of Individual Giving.
- Collaborate with colleagues on the major donor program team in developing overall team strategy and goals, develop and maintain annual and six-month major donor program benchmarks and work plan, and track progress towards implementation.
- Manage the Center ’s portfolio of major donors, Board members, prospects, donor advisors, and family foundations.
- Coordinate and guide relationships through all aspects of the gift cycle, including: identifying prospects; working with staff, board members, and volunteers to initiate contact and engage them; developing appropriate cultivation strategies; moving potential donors toward solicitation and closure; and maintaining stewardship contacts with donors.
- Ensure effective relationship building between donors or prospects and the President, Board members, Program staff, and the Director of Development; act as liaison between donors/donor representatives and program and leadership staff or Board members as appropriate.
- Prepare strategy portion of briefing documents for meetings with major donors and cultivation events for individuals, and manage follow-up activities.
- Develop a thorough understanding of Brennan Center programs and write effective updates, program summaries, and reports for a large volume of donor correspondence including letters, proposals, reports, updates, emails and mailings.
- Manage cultivation and stewardship activities, including webinar and phone briefings on Brennan Center issues for donors and small- and medium-scale events to introduce the Brennan Center to new audiences.
- Oversee small donor fundraising program of mass donor mailings, e-mailings, and updates.
- Collect, document and disseminate, as needed, information from leadership and staff on individual donor relations activities.
- Participate in regular financial progress meetings with Center leadership and, with the Director of Development, prepare revenue projections for individuals for annual budgeting.
The ideal candidate will have:
The Brennan Center, an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated.
- 3-5 years experience in managing a major donor giving or comparable fundraising program ideally with an advocacy or legal organization, think tank, or campaign;
- Proven track record in crafting and managing personalized major donor strategies and solicitations;
- Excellent diplomacy and teambuilding skills required to work well with colleagues at all levels and to supervise junior staff;
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, media-focused environment;
- Demonstrated ability to craft clear and compelling cases for support, taking complex goals, strategies and legal concepts and framing them for the individual donor;
- Superb writing and oral presentation skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Openness to evolving responsibilities and eagerness to advance;
- Proficiency with budgets, financial reporting and revenue forecasting;
- Evidence of work ethic, discipline, affinity for the Brennan Center ’s work; and
- Experience in fundraising with progressive and advocacy donors a plus.
Salary: The Center offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, and opportunities for advancement.
To Apply: To apply, visit http://brennancenter.theresumator.com/apply/e08O15/Manager-Of-Major-Donor-Relations.html. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Brennan Center for Justice - 21 months ago