With a high degree of independence and autonomy, the position is responsible for planning, developing, coordinating, and performing marketing and promotional activities for and oversight of the marketing, publicity and special event functions of the College of Fine and Performing Arts (CFPA). The Manager of Marketing and Special Events will serve as project lead for diverse performances, educational residencies, and fundraising events, using innovative and creative marketing strategies and directing distinctive marketing campaigns to increase the visibility, reputation, and recognition of Western Washington University and the CFPA as a cultural leader. Weekend and evening work will sometimes be required. This is a professional staff, FLSA exempt position, which means it is not eligible for overtime.
About the Department: The College of Fine and Performing Arts (CFPA) nurtures a comprehensive understanding of the languages of Movement Art, Visual Art, Theatre Art and Music in order to create thinking artists and artistic thinkers who will shape culture in the 21st century.
The College of Fine and Performing Arts promotes a lifelong relationship with the arts that enhances, challenges and inspires both the individual and the community. CFPA maintains a viable connection with the liberal arts tradition of the university, equipping students with the creative and intellectual tools necessary for success in the arts.
CFPA promotes a lifelong relationship with the arts that enhances challenges and inspires both the individual and the community, and maintains an environment that supports diversity, reflection and dedication to creative pursuits.
CFPA supports Western’s mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities, and encourages applications from diverse candidates.
Position Responsibilities: The position directs all special events associated with the College, and develops designs and monitors marketing campaigns. This position is also responsible for all aspects of educational outreach, coordinates with other related University programs as the representative from CFPA, and maintains a quality website for the College and Departments. The position is multi-faceted and requires close interfacing between the Dean’s Office, the College Departments, other University offices and personnel and in the local and regional communities to ensure a positive, public presence for CFPA. The position also monitors and manages the related budgets and recommends efficiencies. A valid driver’s license is necessary; weekend and evening work may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years’ experience in publicity and marketing with responsibility for translating an organization’s vision, values and offerings into words and images that build reputation and increase interest of identified audiences
- Knowledge, experience, and expertise with technology-assisted communications and marketing
- Experience using social media marketing tools to build brand awareness and a demonstrated interest in keeping abreast of new technologies
- Demonstrated success in publication creation, professional writing, editing and proofreading
- Ability to bring a strategic orientation to daily work and decision-making, and to relate daily work to strategic priorities
- Ability to set marketing-related goals and objectives, to plan and responsibly and proficiently manage assigned budgets, and to analyze campaign effectiveness, costs, and expenditures
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of constituents, including but not limited to students, staff, administrators, faculty, donors and community members
- Ability to exercise leadership in managing, supporting, and motivating staff and student workers
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Valid driver's license
- Degree major is in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related Business field
- Demonstrated experience working successfully within an arts organization
- Knowledge of the local and regional arts environment
- Ability to generate imaginative solutions and create cost-effective alternatives
- Experience working within a higher education or education-related setting
- Demonstrated success publicizing and marketing arts events
- Familiarity with Drupal
Academic Emphasis: N/A
Job Location: Western Washington University , Bellingham, WA
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Bargaining Union: Not applicable
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
Please include a cover letter addressing your experience related to the required and preferred qualifications, a resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
With an enrollment of 13,000 students, Western Washington University (WWU) is one of the nation's top ranked leaders in undergraduate...