The Manager is responsible for the over-all leadership and operation of the Academy's Teacher Institute on Science and Sustainability (TISS). The Manager reports to the Assistant Director of Teacher Professional Development, supervises two Teacher Educator & Instructional Coaches, and oversees all aspects of TISS including strategic planning and developing the TISS budget. The Manager is also responsible for coaching teachers; overseeing curriculum, lesson, and lab development; program marketing; recruitment and enrollment of teachers; guiding external evaluation; facilitating and delivering PD; and developing and maintaining relationships with community partners.
TISS is an immersive, two-year professional development program for sixty 3 rd - 5 th grade teachers in two cohorts annually that supports improvement of teachers' science pedagogical practices. By focusing on improving teachers competency in science teaching and learning, TISS aims to make transformational changes in the quality and quantity of science taught in the elementary classroom. TISS provides two immersive two-week summer sessions, 21 hours per academic year of ongoing PD, and individualized and team coaching at school sites. Empowering teachers to be leaders, fostering teachers' reflective practices, and helping teachers develop a positive science identity are goals of TISS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Refine, implement and articulate the strategic plan and vision for TISS
- Supervise TISS Staff
- Refine and implement TISS coaching model, as well as coach teachers individually and in groups to enhance science and sustainability instruction
- Collaborate in the planning and teaching of TISS summer sessions and school year professional development
- Oversee logistical planning for TISS
- Refine and oversee TISS evaluation
- Nurture internal and external partnerships and collaborations critical to TISS, Teacher Professional Development, the TYE Department, the PE&E Division, and the Academy
- Support Academy fundraising efforts for TISS
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Develop and manage TISS budget
- Refine and implement TISS marketing and teacher recruitment plan
- Recruit and retain members of the TISS advisory board
- Collaborate in development of interactive web components for TISS, oversee implementation, and monitor web use
- Strengthen plans for alumni and the ongoing, growing TISS learning community
- Collaborate with other Teacher Professional Development staff on strategic planning and annual Teacher Professional Development activities and events
- Leverage Academy resources and integrate TISS with other Academy efforts
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty well. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Master's degree in science, education or equivalent experience required
- At least three years of classroom teaching experience required; elementary classroom teaching highly preferred
- Experience with and training in instructional coaching highly preferred
- At least two year's experience with managing, designing and facilitating teacher professional development, preferably around science, sustainability, literacy and curriculum integration
- At least two years supervisory experience required
- At least three years of project management experience required
- Experience in an informal science setting preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to forge a programmatic vision and strategic plan and then execute them
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise, develop and empower staff, build and lead teams, and communicate with all stakeholders
- Knowledge of pedagogical strategies and best practices of teaching, especially as they relate to elementary education
- Ability to design, develop, implement, and evaluate educational programs
- Knowledge of science and sustainability concepts, processes and practices
- Capacity to develop and manage complex budgets
- Passion for and knowledge of sustainability issues
- Adept decision maker with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, individually and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to forge successful partnerships internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the desire to work in a collaborative atmosphere
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings required
- Valid California driver's license and clean driving record required
- Knowledge of the Next Generation Science Standards and Math and Language Arts Common Core Standards
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as curriculum manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write curriculum, routine reports and email correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Must be able to lift 40 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50% of the time.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at http://calacademy.snaphire.com. Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.
California Academy of Sciences - 14 months ago