TEN: The Enthusiast Network is seeking a full-time Managing Editor, SURFING for the Carlsbad, CA office.
TEN: The Enthusiast Network is the world’s premier network of enthusiast brands, such as Motor Trend, Automobile, Hot Rod, Surfer, Transworld and GrindTV. With more than 60 publications, 100 Web sites, the world’s largest automotive VOD channel, 800 branded products, 50+ events, TV and radio programs, TEN creates and delivers content that informs, entertains, inspires and connects with enthusiasts every day.
The Managing Editor, SURFING will provide two monthly magazines or the equivalent number of issues, consulting with many levels of internal and external contacts, ensuring that the title is produced in the most cost-effective manner while still maintaining the editorial integrity of the product and adherence to advertising demands. Creates story assignment sheets, establishes deadlines, and monitors the editorial staff’s progress toward deadlines. Proofreads all copy. Reviews production schedules and alters as required. Interacts with outside vendors to include prepress and the printer to ensure that the package is produced error-free. May perform all duties relative to the supervision of Copy Editors, Ad Coordinators and Editorial Assistants. The Managing Editor will provide the following duties, but not limited to:
- On a monthly basis, dummies (configures the layout) the magazine(s), consulting with various levels of personnel, both internally and externally, regarding such matters as layout, ad and story positioning, changes to the advertising package, and special advertising units. Works to ensure the most cost-effective approach while still maintaining the editorial integrity of the title and adherence to advertising demands.
- Interacts with the Ad Coordinator. Receives and reviews the Ad Rundown Report and monitors any changes to the advertising package.
- Creates story assignment sheets and sets deadlines for each issue of the magazine.
- Monitors story deadlines to ensure that they are being met by the editorial staff.
- Monitors the submission of copy and photographs for each article so as to ensure the completeness of the package.
- Proofreads all copy at the laser stage to ensure that it is consistent with the magazine’s standards and is error-free.
- Works with the Editor, Staff Editors and Art Director regarding story positioning and in requesting changes to the editorial package size requirements.
- Consults with the Publisher, Advertising Sales Staff and Special Units Analysts regarding ad positioning, special requirements and pending advertising.
- Assists in reviewing production schedules. Monitors each magazine’s progress through the production cycle each month and reports to management.
- Completes paperwork to send to the press indicating final form breakdown and press layouts. Sends copies of paperwork to Manufacturing, Special Units, Distribution, Group Operations Director, Finance and the Customer Service Representatives at the printer and prepress.
- Ships advertising and editorial proofs to prepress.
- On a monthly or bimonthly basis, consults with the Group Operations Director using the package analysis template to ensure that packages are dummied for cost-efficient utilization of press impositions and color as well as adherence to the budget in relation to package size and advertising ratio.
- May hire, train and monitor the progress of Copy Editors, Ad Coordinators and Editorial Assistants.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
- May supervise one to three employees holding the positions of Copy Editor, Ad Coordinator and Editorial Assistant. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of this unit.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or English
- 3 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience in an editorial-production position with a monthly publication required.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of printing and production technology and terminology helpful.
- Attention to detail; superior organizational skills.
- Deadline orientated.
- Excellent written, verbal presentation and communication skills.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word suite, Adobe Photoshop, Web content management systems, Wordpress blog tool
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.