Future US is seeking a hardcore PC gamer with borderline-OCD organizational skills as well as tremendous creative writing and storytelling abilities to join the PC Gamer team as Managing Editor. The purpose of this job is to ensure that all PC Gamer content meets our editorial standards, to track and manage commissioned work, and to ensure that all products across all tracks—including print, digital, online and special projects—ship on time.
It’s not enough to be good at tracking details: you must be able to break down a complex project into its constituent parts and be obsessive about making sure these components are delivered on schedule.
Job Responsibilities :
- Issue and enforce deadlines for the entire editorial team, including freelancers.
- Supervise the production cycle across all tracks (print, digital, special projects, etc.), making sure that all deliverables are completed in the correct order and coordinating with resources outside of the editorial team (e.g. art, photography, UK editorial) so that scheduling problems are rapidly and effectively addressed
- Edit copy after the appropriate section editor, ensuring that it’s complete, error-free, and has all necessary elements (sidebars, scores, photos, extra fun, etc.). You’ll also need to help develop the section editor’s copy by talking them through the edits and changes you make
- Re-write copy when necessary
- Re-edit and reformat content from one medium for publishing in another
- Locate and vet new writers
- Participate in brainstorms and planning meetings, post mortems etc.
- Suggest ways to improve content in print and online
- Manage invoicing and Accounts Payable for all contributors
- Manage the editorial contributor list and act as a go-between with Accounts Payable to make sure our folks get paid on time and to resolve any issues that might prevent that from happening
- Book freelance copy editing when necessary, and ensure they are properly briefed, kept busy and understand the brand style
- Write copy, especially during the first (quiet) week of production
- Manage print and online sections as assigned
- Build relationships with developers, publishers and contributors
- Represent the brand at trade exhibitions, PR events, and other public meet-ups
- You may be occasionally asked to make yourself available to other media for interviews, appearances etc. to help build the image of the brand as a respected authority, and you will think this is awesome
Required Qualifications :
- You must be a super-hardcore PC gamer. You know if you’re one or not
- You have to have insane attention to detail and be obsessive about accuracy while juggling multiple assignment in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where people are also sometimes throwing things
- You must have the ability to write quickly and accurately under intense deadlines when necessary. This skill will be tested during the interview process
- A strong sense of copy style and ownership is essential, as is the ability to set and keep to deadlines. The Managing Editor must have an inclination to constantly and consistently raise the quality of our content while ensuring schedules are met
- Experience working with Google Analytics and social media metrics is a huge plus
- Bachelors’ degree or similar experience
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a related field
Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR). It has operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events. It holds market-leading positions in Technology, Gaming, Entertainment, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors. Future attracts 50 million monthly global unique users to its websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com. Future sells more than 24 million magazines every year, that’s 45 magazines sold every minute. Our most well-known brands in the US include Mac|Life, Maximum PC, PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazine. We deliver over 100 digital editions, selling over two million products in the last 12 months through Apple’s Newsstand for iPad. Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, making us the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content. Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.
What we offer :
- 401K Match
- Costco Membership
- Corporate Matching Program
- Employer paid medical, dental and vision plans.
- A casual, comfortable dress environment.
- A culture that encourages a passion for life both inside and outside of the office.
- Free shuttle service from BART and CalTrain to the office.