SUMMARY: The Manufacturing Engineer I position is responsible for improving the manufacturability of the packaging systems at GMCR. This position partners with cross-functional teams to provide Keurig and VUE packaging process improvements and solutions. This position identifies opportunities for production efficiency gains and manages multiple projects targeting continual process improvement. The position will entail some travel to other sites within the GMCR system.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : None at this time
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for production output, quality, cost and safety of assigned set of packaging lines; partners with site Production & Maintenance teams and other departments to measure and improve performance
· Partners with multi-site Engineering to ensure smooth transition of new equipment and upgrades into the manufacturing process
· Deliver increased uptime and product quality through root cause analysis and problem solving.
· Drive production efficiency gains through data-driven analysis and decision making.
· Improve process flow and reduce cycle time through waste elimination.
· Lead formal structured problem solving exercises with engineering, maintenance, and operations teams to identify and eliminate recurring packaging quality, safety and productivity issues.
· Lead or participate in Rapid Improvement Events (RIEs) or Kaizen events using multifunctional teams to identify non-value added activities and eliminate waste.
· Establish and utilize effective visual management systems for packaging line operations
· Ensure that trainers in production and maintenance fully understand the developed standard work and the standard operating procedures.
· Develop methods for acquiring and tracking critical data metrics to monitor production performance.
· Utilize statistical data analysis of critical process indicators where possible.
· Strong hands-on focus and presence on the manufacturing floor with the production team.
· Identify opportunities for optimizing Lean manufacturing including; flow, standard work, 5S, pull systems, and visual management
· Responsible for coordination, evaluation, and continuous improvement of the department/team and creating a positive climate where people want to do their best.
· Responsibility to report food safety, quality and regulatory compliance to plant or division personnel with authority to initiate action.
OTHER NECESSARY FUNCTIONS:
· Follows all policies, procedures, ergonomic standards and safety requirements directed by GMCR and the department.
· Performs other duties as requested by management.
· Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Packaging Engineering required or equivalent experience.
· 2 or more years of experience in a manufacturing production facility, preferably food manufacturing.
· Ability to make data-driven decisions, using statistical and graphical analysis tools
· Working knowledge of lean manufacturing and other manufacturing continuous process improvement theory
· Experience using CPI tools and leading Lean Manufacturing events with proven success.
· Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and influence the work of others
· Hands-on mechanical aptitude and working knowledge of automation and control systems
· Excellent project management skills
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
· Excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite programs like Excel, MS Project, Word, and Power Point
· Ability to travel regularly
· Ability to uphold safety standards and follow our manufacturing best practices
· Ability to effectively perform in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
· Ability to follow GMCR policies and procedures as well as our Operating principles.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
· Frequent office work with keyboarding/computer work required (50% of the workday).
· Occasionally physical labor (50% of the workday). Must have ability to kneel, squat, bend, and stoop, twist, reach overhead with repetitive motions, push/pull up to 15 pounds using supplied equipment, and lift up to 30 pounds on a regular basis and 50 pounds occasionally.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters - 22 months ago
We believe in using the power of business to make the world a better place. Each step on the long road from tree to cup gives us an...