Organization: New England Aquarium
Location: Boston, MA, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
Apply now for: Fall 2013
Time commitment: 2 to 4 Days Per Week (8:00am - 5:00pm)
The Marine Mammal Department maintains two outdoor pinniped exhibits featuring Atlantic harbor seals, California sea lions, and northern fur seals. The Marine Mammal Internship Program is designed to be a career learning experience and is best suited for individuals serious about careers in marine mammal training. Interns assist training staff in all aspects of animal care with a strong emphasis on operant conditioning, training techniques and marine mammal husbandry. Although this position does not involve feeding or training the seals, interns play an integral role assisting staff during training sessions and presentations, and work in close proximity to the animals.
Interns are incorporated into the daily activities of the Marine Mammal Department including:
• Diet preparation
• Cleaning exhibits and behind the scenes areas
• Scrubbing and disinfecting items used during training sessions
• Assisting trainers during training sessions and presentations
• Creating toys for the animals
• Conducting enrichment sessions
• Option of speaking in public presentations
• Interact informally with Aquarium visitors
Candidates must be at least 18 years old and have a serious interest in a career in mammal training. Interns must feel comfortable bending and walking on uneven and wet terrain and be able to lift 50 lbs. The job involves a substantial amount of cleaning with various cleaning agents. Our exhibits are outdoors so interns must be comfortable being exposed to all weather conditions.
If you are interested in applying for an internship with the Aquarium, please submit TWO (2) copies of the following in your application. All materials must be submitted together in one packet. Materials not submitted with the original packet may not be reviewed.
• Cover Letter: Please tell us about your career goals and what you want to gain from your internship, as well as your qualifications for the position(s). You may apply for up to THREE (3) positions (please list them in order of preference).
• Current Resume
• References: Two academic, student leadership or professional references
• College Transcript: An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
• Letter of Recommendation
• Questionnaire: Please download the form by visiting www.neaq.org.
Send your application to:
Volunteer Programs and Internships Office
New England Aquarium
Boston, MA 02110-3108
Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- 22 months ago - save job