Job Summary: As a key leader of our Market Deli & Specialty Cheese Department (MD&SCD), this position is responsible for assisting the Market Deli Manager with product management, food safety, quality control, merchandising, sales generation, gross margins, labor and general expense control, personnel development, customer service, and profitability within the MD&SCD. This position is also responsible for the education of team members and customers in the areas of product selection, recipe ideas, and meal solutions. In partnership with the Market Deli Manager, provides leadership to MD&SCD team members on a department wide basis.
Specific Job Duties:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Develops and maintains product displays that create an exciting marketplace; strives to develop displays that pique customer interest and impact customer buying trends. Oversees the merchandising of product and ensures all department merchandising is consistent with company guidelines, expectations, and approved merchandising plans.
· Ensures effective ordering of all products for the MD&SCD; maintains product inventory at a level that promotes effective sales merchandising and maximizes sales growth.
· Participates in determining order quantities and verifying cost of goods. Assumes primary responsibility for store-level vendor relations, including in-store daily operations and meetings.
· Assists the Market Deli Manager with determining product selections; performs category management functions as assigned by the Market Deli Manager or as needed.
· Works with the Food Service Program Coordinator to ensure ingredients and products are available and on-hand for daily and weekly production.
· Consistently achieves all food preparation guidelines, including full compliance with established recipe program; ensures prepared food consistency and portion control.
· Leads and readily participates in product promotions and focuses.
· Adheres to food temperature requirements, including hot and cold holding specifications. Promptly discards any products that do not meet HACCP and Department of Health standards, or appear less than presentable under Metropolitan Market’s quality expectations.
· Serve Safe Certified.
· Provides outstanding customer service and readily communicates product information to increase sales and meet revenue goals; uses product information to increase sales and best service customers.
· Trains employees and provides performance feedback, coaching and counseling.
· Assists with quarterly physical inventories and practices inventory control.
· Demonstrates dependability and flexibility; meets attendance requirements.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Market Deli Manager.
Skills Required / Qualifications:
Candidates will be selected from applicants having the best combination of the following qualifications:
· Minimum three years kitchen or restaurant environment experience required; two years supervisory experience of five or more employees in a food service environment required.
· Must possess a minimum of four years of customer service experience.
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and produce quality output while working within deadlines a must. Sense of urgency required. Excellent time management and organizational skills.
· Demonstrates a high level of self-motivation; takes initiative; problem solves.
· Proven ability to positively affect sales generation and manage expenses, including labor.
· Possesses strong knowledge of food safety and HACCP/Department of Health guidelines, gross profit, inventory and portion control, and labor percentages; proven experience working with each.
· Ample experience with professional financial budgeting; proven success in meeting financial goals.
· Strong mathematical skills.
· Minimum beginning-level proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
· Possesses comprehensive product information with a proven history of using knowledge to train employees and best service customers. Demonstrates a strong knowledge and understanding of food, including ingredients, applications, pronunciations, and culinary skills. Possesses a genuine passion for food.
· Strong leadership skills; proven success as a team leader and member; proven history of personnel development. Ability to effectively delegate and follow-through.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
· Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills required; effective written communication skills necessary.
· Demonstrates an interest in learning; possesses a strong interest in food and related products.
It is the policy of Food Markets Northwest, Inc. d.b.a. Metropolitan Market and its members to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, genetic information, creed, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability or any other bases protected under applicable local, state, or federal law.