A full-time, unpaid internship is available in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's Marketing & Communications Department. The internship will take place during weekdays. The specific days per week are flexible and will be determined. Intern will receive detailed exposure to Public Relations, Marketing, and Digital Engagement processes. The internship is open to undergraduates, recent graduates, and graduate students who have completed relevant coursework and/or have a demonstrated interest in one or more of the following fields: art history, public relations, marketing, and/or communications.
The Marketing & Communications Department manages all of the communications for SFMOMA. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising/marketing, press releases, email newsletters, digital/social media, community and audience strategy. We have a staff of roughly a dozen employees (all incredibly fun people who are leaders in their respective fields).
The intern will gain significant understanding of Marketing, Public Relations, and Digital Engagement systems and learn how these fields operate together to create strategic messages. Through hands on work and research, the intern will explore the relationship between art, media, and the public, and learn effective strategies to engage audiences. The role consists of professional-level work that will prepare the intern for a career in a wide range of Marketing and Communications capacities.
Duration of Internship:
Monday, June 17 through Friday, August 23, 2013
- Assist in the preparation for and day of press previews
- Monitor media for SFMOMA mentions and relevant news and format press clips
- Research media outlets and develop media lists for press pitching
- Compose and distribute press materials for upcoming exhibitions and events
- Compile market research projects as needed
- Write and post online event listings for the museum
- Learn and work with Raiser's Edge and Cision database software
- Update ad books for all exhibition specific and SFMOMA institutional print media campaigns
- Research for social media and other audience development strategies
- Create Enter to Win prize packages and facilitate distribution to winners
- Marketing and/or PR experience, and general understanding of media landscape
- Prior research in digital and social media, and strong level of competence with online media (especially an existing personal presence on websites like Facebook or Twitter)
- High familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Creativity (especially in writing)
- Sense of humor
- Organization and attention to detail
- Dedication for the duration of internship
- Grace under pressure (this is oftentimes a deadline driven department)
Before applying, please visit the Internships Section of our website at www.sfmoma.org/pages/jobs_internships
- Internship application form printed from SFMOMA Web site; DO NOT APPLY ONLINE
- Cover letter detailing how your background/coursework will contribute to this department and what you wish to gain from this internship
- Letters of Recommendation (one personal/professional and one academic) in a confidential, sealed envelope with the recommenders' signature across the seal
Please send application requirements* detailed above to:
Intern Program Manager
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
151 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
All applications must be postmarked on/before March 8, 2013.
*Materials must be received in one complete package , with "Marketing and Communications" marked clearly on the envelope.
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity among its staff.