Marketing & Community Relations Director
Pierce County Library
Come work with us!
Lead a dynamic, award-winning full-service Marketing and Community Relations team at Pierce County Library System in Tacoma, Washington. Join a Library engaged in the community and customer-driven services.
Pierce County Library, a 2013 National Medal for Libraries recipient, serves the 558,000 residents of 15 cities and unincorporated Pierce County through 18 branches and online services. The Library is a junior taxing district and an independent government district.
Express your creativity in this executive-level position as you lead a strong department responsible for planning, managing and directing system-wide marketing and community relations plans and strategic initiatives.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a vision and understanding of contemporary marketing and community relations, with an eye to the future.
- Be customer-focused and experienced in all aspects of creating and executing marketing and communications programs.
- Be a strategic thinker and an excellent communicator.
- Have proven ability to lead and implement change, develop and lead staff, build teams, work cross-functionally and participate in a system that continually improves.
- Participate as an active member of the Library’s Administrative Team and ensure community members have opportunities to learn, explore, read and enrich their lives.
If you are results oriented, committed to collaboration and you believe that Pierce County Library can be the community’s first choice for the discovery and exchange of information and ideas - your next career move may be with us.
Pay Grade: $6,441 - $8,656 per month, FLSA Exempt, Management (not union-represented).
Schedule: Forty (40) hours per week on a regular schedule.
Application Deadline: In addition to completing the application, please also include a cover letter and resume . Apply through this site no later than 8 a.m. August 30, 2013.
Plans, coordinates, manages, and directs the operations and activities of Pierce County Library System’s Marketing & Community Relations Department; develops and implements the Library’s marketing and community relations plan; executes strategic communications and marketing initiatives; oversees the development and production of marketing materials; serves as the Library’s primary media spokesperson; directs volunteer program; establishes and maintains community partnerships; and supervises assigned personnel.
Reports to the Executive Director; supervises assigned professional and technical personnel.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Ensures the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused services; assists in ensuring the Library’s services appropriately meet the needs of the community.
- Participates in the strategic and long-range planning for the operation and future development of the Library System.
- Serves as a core member of the Library’s executive Leadership Team; provides guidance and advice regarding Library operations and policies; explores future directions and positioning for the Library.
- Oversees and directs the Marketing & Community Relations Department’s day-to-day operations including marketing, branding, marketing materials production, media relations, community relations, and website brand and content.
- Ensures the Library’s image, brand, services, and key messages are appropriately communicated to employees, external customers, and the community.
- Develops, implements, and administers the Library’s annual marketing and communications plan; produces and implements individual marketing and communication strategies.
- Directs branding and market positioning initiatives necessary to increase and enhance public awareness of the Library’s services, programs, events, and key accomplishments.
- Directs Library’s volunteer program.
- Coordinates with Friends to promote community relations and advocacy.
- Collaborates with Customer Experience Department to strive for program/events that meet community needs.
- Develops and executes the Department’s strategic plan.
- Develops and administers the department’s budget; mid-year budget adjustments; monitors and authorizes expenditure.
- Hires, trains, supervises, disciplines, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; ensures staff compliance with Library and departmental policies, procedures, and quality standards.
- Responds to Library staff and/or volunteer inquiries regarding communications policies, procedures, and practices.
- Advises and provides recommendations to the Executive Director and other management personnel regarding public affairs and community relations matters.
- Supports the marketing efforts of Library departments, personnel, and the Library Foundation; collaborates with managers and staff in relation to the production of strategic marketing and communications tools.
- Conducts, directs, and analyzes public opinion research.
- Directs the development and production of the Library’s print and electronic marketing and communications’ materials; provides and oversees brand and content on the Library’s public website.
- Develops, directs, and solicits advertising for Library services and events.
- Creates, develops, and implements a proactive mass and social media strategy; obtains strategic media coverage; writes articles and opinion pieces regarding Library services, events, and accomplishments.
- Serves as the Library’s primary media spokesperson; coaches staff regarding media interview techniques; establishes and maintains relationships with media representatives.
- Establishes and maintains community partnerships; collaborates with community organizations and other communications professionals regarding joint Library/community projects.
- Coordinates Department activities with other Library departments.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of communications management.
- Marketing, advertising, and brand management strategies.
- Community, public, and media relations principles and practices.
- Current trends in marketing, advertising, promotional programs, and communications.
- Multi-media marketing materials relative to public library operations.
- Conducting, directing, and analyzing public opinion research.
- Processes for preparing and administering budgets.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Computers and Windows-based software.
- Customer service standards and protocols
Required Skill in:
- Directing and coordinating communications functions.
- Ensuring organization’s brand and image are properly represented to the public/organization’s audiences.
- Developing and implementing strategic marketing and communications plans.
- Overseeing the production of electronic and print marketing materials.
- Serving as a primary media spokesperson and preparing news releases and pitching news stories.
- Developing and administering budgets and monitoring expenditure.
- Supervising, leading, coaching, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field, and
- Five (5) years communications management experience, including three years supervisory experience; Or
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to sitting for extended periods of time, standing, walking, bending, reaching, and occasional lifting of objects weighing up to 10 -15 pounds.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program.
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
Pierce County Library - 4 months ago
Internet access to services of Pierce County Library System, in Pierce County, WA. Access library services, our library catalog and news...