United Way of the Greater Capital Region has an immediate opportunity for a Marketing & Communications Manager
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Director, this replacement position will provide marketing and communications support to United Way of the Greater Capital Region in coordination with other United Way staff, volunteers and external partners including vendors. This highly visible position will communicate the value of United Way of the Greater Capital Region through clear, focused messages that motivate audiences to donate, volunteer and partner in other ways to advance United Way’s work.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
- This position will assist in creating print publications including brochures, campaign materials, event invitations, annual reports, postcards, program summaries and other promotions. Additionally, the successful candidate will assist in creating electronic communications including e-newsletters, web pages and content for social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and blogs.
- The Manager of Marketing & communications will increase public awareness and positive perceptions of United Way by writing and distributing press releases, building relationships with reporters and assignment editors, seeking opportunities for media interviews and obtaining coverage from bloggers and other opinion leaders.
- Design and place advertisements in print and electronic media, work with vendors including printers, suppliers of promotional products and others to ensure publications, goods and services are delivered on time, on budget and on strategy.
- Assist in event planning and execution, including strategy setting, production of print collateral, scripting, award design and audio-visual production. Help ensure sure all external communications adhere to national and local brand standards, both in design and editorial content.
- Maintain awareness of and comfort level using new and emerging technology in such areas as social media, mobile giving and communications, web content management and search engine optimization; use associated data tools and tracking for insight to sharpen and strengthen United Way communications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications preferred.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience supporting a senior management position, including related marketing, communications, and project coordination experience.
- 3 years’ experience using industry-standard graphic design software including the Adobe Design Suite and Microsoft Office Suite. Web content management experience preferred.
- Strong writing and verbal skills, with a particular ability to make a succinct and persuasive case for donors, volunteers and prospects to invest in United Way.
- Possess an eye for good design and the ability to produce creative pieces that adhere to national and local brand standards. Past experience with style guides and brand standards is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret complex and comprehensive messages and translate them into focused communications that engage and motivate diverse audiences. Marketing experience with a mission-driven service organization is preferred.
- Demonstrate a strategic mindset and an understanding of the big picture, including marketing trends, philanthropy and the nonprofit operating environment.
- Strong customer service skills and an ability to focus on solutions that assist the Marketing Department in functioning as the in-house agency for United Way communication needs. Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers and community leaders in the business and nonprofit sectors.
- Significant experience using social media & mobile communication tools to engage customers and build brand stature.
A competitive salary/benefit package is provided the qualified candidate. For immediate consideration, Please forward a cover letter summarizing the candidates qualifications for this position, CV/resume, 3-5 professional references, salary history and recent writing samples to:
John P. Roche
The United Way of the Greater Capital Region