The Materials Engineer is responsible for executing material quality management programs and evaluating material and tooling performance. This is done through testing, trials, and data collection. The position includes writing specifications for new materials and tools to be used in the system. The Materials Engineer is also responsible for material quality assurance, which is accomplished through on-site manufacturing inspections, incoming material sampling inspections and material analysis and reporting of in-service material failures. This position will also evaluate new technologies and assist in the implementation, tracking and reporting on status of the technology being introduced.
- Evaluates new materials to be introduced into the system to verify material characteristics and that factory settings/testing are in compliance with applicable industry standards (e.g. ASTM and API) and Code requirements.
- Ensures material quality by conducting statistical sampling of incoming materials and comparing the results against the product requirements specified in the purchase order.
- Develops material specifications of products approved for use in the system. Specifications are attached to material purchase orders.
- Oversight and project management of required material analysis programs (e.g. Mechanical Fitting Failure Analysis/Forms/DOT reporting, Plastic Pipeline Data Collection samples/forms)
- Administers the Defective Item Program and conducts root-cause analysis of materials deemed defective or to have failed and writes report of findings.
- Identifies and evaluates new technologies and materials in an effort to improve system integrity and achieve greater efficiency in the field activities being conducted. Prepares cost-benefit analysis on the impact of new technology on field operations.
- Coordinates field trials of new products or materials.
- Prepares communication plan in regards to the introduction of new products, changes to existing products and material failure analysis response.
- Coordinates gas sampling and water sampling analysis requests from the field.
- Responds to internal requests for support as it relates to materials and system components.
- Interacts with supplier’s technical staff on product performance.
- Interacts with third party labs for specialized testing.
- Demonstrates safe and efficient work practices in a laboratory environment.
- Makes recommendations, in conjunction with Supply Chain, regarding alternate vendors or products based on findings from failure analysis testing and assists in establishing material recall plans as necessary.
- Makes recommendations for cast iron replacement projects based on CI coupon sampling results.
- Monitors utilization rates of new technologies to validate cost impact.
- Conducts on-site manufacturing inspections to ensure vendor compliance with specified requirements of the material being purchased
- BA/BS in recognized engineering discipline
Related Work Experience:
- EIT or Profession Engineering License
- Minimum 3-5 years of engineering and operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field including gas industry equipment manufacturing
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience in materials testing
- Project management experience
- Thorough knowledge of material testing equipment
- Thorough understanding of ASTM standards, API standards, ANSI standards and other standards as referenced in 49CFR192.7.
- Excellent project management skills
- Problem Solving and Analysis
- Planning and Organizing
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
AGL Resources - 16 months ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...