Materials Technical Specialist-POW0000578
Materials Technical Specialist – Surface Engineering and Tribology
The materials technical specialist – surface engineering and tribology is the technical lead on surface engineering and tribology projects which link product design, engineering and manufacturing with product performance, durability and reliability. The role engages with all phases of the product design, manufacturing, and performance analysis. It requires very strong knowledge and expertise in metallurgical and materials engineering as well as surface engineering and tribology and is able to provide technical issue resolution and overall delivery of complex, large scale solutions.
- Plan and update surface engineering and tribology roadmap and technology development process in support of product development.
- Develop projects to support reciprocating and rotating part and component design and manufacturing to meet technical and business requirements. Engage with the product design, manufacturing, and performance analysis related to surface engineering and tribology.
- Work closely with project teams and key stakeholders and lead continuous improvement initiatives.
- Identify engine and transmission parts failure mechanisms related to surface fatigue, wear, scuffing, lubrication and friction. Recommend engineering changes.
- Plan and oversee testing, experiments, analyze data, draw conclusions, report results in surface engineering and tribology areas.
- Stay abreast of new technology and collaborate with universities, government laboratories and suppliers.
- Project budget development and tracking.
- ROI and patent submissions. Proposal writing for government programs. Internal/external publication and presentations.
Required Skills and Experience
- MS Degree in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Highly self-motivated.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in metallurgical and materials and engineering, especially in surface engineering, as well as wear, lubrication, friction and fatigue analysis and testing.
- Strong hands-on experiences in lab testing, materials characterization, as well as test machine design and modification. Strong knowledge and experience of surface engineering instruments and tribology test equipment.
- Strong skills in data analysis, design of experiments, failure analysis, and problem-solving.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- PhD in a related engineering field
- Knowledge of engine and transmission system, particularly shifting systems, transmission friction materials, engine rotating and reciprocating systems
- Knowledge of material standards - GM, SAE, ASTM, etc.
- Knowledge of the processes associated with advanced technical work (ATW).
Primary Location: US-MI-Pontiac
Posting Date : Jan 10, 2013, 4:32:05 PM - Ongoing
General Motors - 18 months ago
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...