What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nations premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply : Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M2-14-1139867 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Department of
Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), National
Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC) in Atlanta, GA.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
- Positive education is required.
DUTIES: Back to top
As a Mathematical Statistician you will:
- M ake recommendations to senior officials on interpreting multiple, conflicting, or incomplete data.
- Advise on technical issues central to initiating new statistical programs or major revisions to current statistical programs.
- Write and/or present comprehensive technical statistical reports based on the data collected.
- Provide professional statistical advice and consultation to public health professionals, senior scientists and management officials. Provide advice and assistance for statistical projects or studies.
- Interpret and apply policies in terms of established goals, objectives and accepted practices.
- Develop methods and selecting techniques to conduct methodological research to improve sample surveys or experimental designs.
- Provide advice, data analysis and other assistance for statistical projects or studies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Basic Qualifications for GS-1529:
A. Degree: that included 24 semester
hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were
in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 24 semester hours of
mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6
hours in statistics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or
Applicants must have one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level of difficulty and
responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience
which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with
the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform
the duties of the position to include experience in evaluating, analyzing
and/or advising management on statistical theories, techniques and methods used
in public health issues and programs
Evaluation of Experience:
The experience offered in
combination with educational courses to meet the requirements in paragraph B
above should include evidence of statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b)
collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying known
statistical techniques to data such as measurement of central tendency,
dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis
of variance, and tests of significance. Without other indications of
statistical experience, work required in the processing of numerical or
quantified information by other than statistical methods is not considered
appropriate qualifying experience. Examples of such non-qualifying work include
statistical clerical work; statistical drafting; calculation of totals,
averages, percentages, or other arithmetic summations; preparation of simple
tables or charts; or verification of data by simple comparison or proofreading.
Since this position has a specific education requirement, you must submit a copy of your college transcripts or acceptable alternative as indicated in Required Documents. If selected, you will be required to submit an original official transcripts before being appointed.
Foreign Education :
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit:
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No.
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No.
8. Drug Screening Required: No.
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No.
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: May Be Authorized
11. Research position: No.
12. Promotion potential: No.
13. Supervisory position: No.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1.Knowledge of statistical and/or epidemiological
methodology, theories, principles, and methods used.
2. Knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts of epidemiology
and/correlated health sciences.
3. Knowledge of program goals, survey/data systems, development of statistical
4. Knowledge of computer systems and statistical application software.
5. Skill in oral communication.
6. Skill in written communication.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.