Job Title: Meat Cutter
As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Meat Cutter provides friendly, courteous, and
helpful service. Prepares meat in salable sizes and condition for wrapping and eventual display
and sale to customer. Cuts, trims, chops, grinds and otherwise prepares meats and places on
trays. Handles freight placed in the cooler. Freight is opened, sorted and stacked. May place
product in display cases, check product display for expiration date and provide customer
service. May take special orders from customers. May empty trash barrels and clean work
Safeway Meat Cutter employees are generally responsible for completing the following job
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the
position and within company policy.
2. Operate saws, grinders and other meat processing machinery.
3. Use knives to cut, trim and prepare meat products.
4. Inspect, sort and grade meat products.
5. Inspect displayed products for expired dates and remove when necessary. Maintain division
6. Take special orders from customers and provide special cuts.
7. Maintain area and conduct business in accordance with state, federal and local regulation
and employer policy.
8. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer
service skills or related experience.
2. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
3. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
4. Ability to operate wrapping machine and hand wrap product when necessary.
5. Knowledge of and ability to prepare different cuts of meat.
Limited. In absence of Meat Managers oversees Meat Wrappers.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
%Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: Meat area is kept cool. Exposure to freezer for short periods of time.
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
hand truck, six-wheeled cart, pallet jack, grocery cart, box cutter, pens and pencils, bailer,
forklift, telxon, computer, telephone/intercom, knives, meat grinders, meat saws
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-10 lbs. Frequently lifts 11-50 lbs. Occasionally lifts 51-75 lbs.
Frequently carries 1-35 lbs. Occasionally carries 36-50 lbs. Seldom carries 51-75 lbs.
Pushing / Pulling:
Frequently pushes/pulls 1-20 lbs. Occasionally pushes/pulls 21-50 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder level reaching. Occasional at or above shoulder level reaching and
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Frequent walking while on job.
Seldom. May use step stool.
Frequent neck rotation, bending of head, bending/stooping, and twisting. Occasional crouching.
Seldom squatting and kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping, fine finger manipulation, and repetitive motion. Frequent forceful
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around meat area with dangerous
moving machinery. Near vision used to read tags, orders, displays and when handling sharp
objects and dangerous power tools to cut and trim meat. Color vision used to assess quality of
meat and areas needing trimming.
To converse with customers in person or by telephone, and to receive instruction and
information from other employees.
To converse with customers in person or by telephone, and to provide instruction or information
to other employees.
SAFEWAY, INC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Safeway Corp. - 16 months ago
For many Americans, "going to Safeway" is synonymous with "going to the grocery store." Safeway is one of North...