Alcoa has an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Characterization Test Practice Staff Engineer to work at the Alcoa Technical Center located in Alcoa Center (New Kensington) PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The Alcoa Technical Center (ATC) is Alcoa’s largest research, development, and applied engineering laboratory. Alcoa Technical Center occupies a 127-acre campus with an additional 2,019 acres of rolling countryside. This facility is the world’s largest light metals research and development center with a full range of lab capabilities, from bench-scale to full production-scale equipment. The facility has a diverse, multi-lingual workforce holding more than 100 doctorate and 200 master’s Degrees.
The Mechanical Characterization Test Practice Staff Engineer will report to the Section Head- Mechanical Testing & Characterization and is recognized and used as the technical expert in mechanical testing method development across many Alcoa operating locations.
- Develop novel testing methods and analytical procedures to mechanically characterize various products such that reliable properties and related information are obtained
- Establish novel techniques and methods for evaluating residual stresses in plates, sheets, extrusions, and forgings
- Perform and standardize complex and non-standard tests for various customers on various products (particularly Low-Cycle Fatigue) such that technicians can run the tests
- Evolve the capabilities and focus of our test group to accelerate Alcoa's product development through physical experimentation and testing
- Lead the test development team and provide problem solving consultation with Work collaboratively with the test development team and assist with trouble shooting issues as they relate to developing new tests for coupon and sub-component tests and testing methodologies
- Perform fundamental and applied research in the area of mechanical characterization aimed at establishing microstructure-property-performance relationships for new and existing aluminum alloys and product forms for various markets
- Consult on Alcoa's programs, for different markets- aerospace, ground transportation, defense, aimed at experimental verification of product performance
- This position will require work in a safe work environment; establish effective communication lines/methods within the division and amongst its customers; good organizational skills and project management experience; and the ability to manage conflict
- Perform interpretation of residual stresses and machining distortion in engineered products
- Perform complex and non-standard tests for various customers on various products. Perform low-cycle fatigue testing
- Perform fractography and failure analysis
- Attend ASTM meetings and guide the testing standards community as a representative of Alcoa.
- Perform Finite Element Modeling to assist in the understanding and testing of coupons and sub-components
- Lead and manage material characterization projects for internal and external Alcoa customers.
- Translate customer specifications and test standards into functional testing in the area of fatigue crack growth and fracture toughness
- Some Alcoa Technical Center (ATC) products and technical information are subject to U.S. export control laws. Applicants for this position will be required to submit information regarding work authorization status to enable ATC to comply with those laws.
- This position is being posted at a range of job grades 17-18. Grade will be dependent on education and experience level of incumbent.
ALCOA - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard -
While many of its aluminum products may be lightweight, Alcoa is anything but. The company is among the world's top producers of...