Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports to: Manager of Engineering Division: Welding
Revision Date: 10-2-2012 Department: MOD
To supply technical expertise and direction which ensures installation of highest quality rail welds and rail welding equipment, facilitates expansion of the rail welding business and maintains safe and profitable projects.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide creative, sound, and cost effective designs, which meet the requirements of the customer and/or specifications.
- Work with vendors to improve product quality, delivery, and to continuously reduce cost.
- Perform design calculations, as required by specification or to verify design integrity.
- Utilize Failure Mode Effects Analysis to optimize designs.
- Maintain complete engineering documentation of projects.
- Work with Project Managers to complete all project objectives.
- Work closely with customers, suppliers, and other Holland employees during all phases of a project.
- Provide project engineering labor estimates.
- Generate project Bills of Material and Drawings for release through the IFS production system.
- Provide technical assistance to shop and customers, as required.
- Provide Technical field support through communications and site visits.
- Travel is required, domestic and international, for start-ups and troubleshooting. Travel may include ground, rail and air.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs with our without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Willingness to wear PPE (hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toed boots) as required.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground in field.
- Standing, walking, bending, and sitting for extended periods are required to perform basic office functions.
- Vision must be sufficient for inputting data into a computer.
- Keyboarding skills that reduce the risk of carpal tunnel and other office related injuries.
- Office/cubicle environment.
- Shop environment including welding, overhead cranes and fork trucks.
- Field on-track environment in all weather conditions.
- BSME or equivalent experience
- Drafting/Designer Certification
- Excellent in Solidworks or other 3D equivalent & AutoCad.
- 4-5 years of experience in structural, mechanical, and hydraulic areas of machine design.
- CNC Machining and programming experience is highly desirable.
- Welding experience and knowledge of weldments is desirable.
- Mechanically skilled to aid in fabrication and repairs.
- Hydraulic system design / troubleshooting experience.
- Heavy equipment & machinery design a plus.
- Control system experience (PLC).
- Knowledge of FMEA, Lean practices, Six Sigma and Value Engineering.
- FEA Stress Analysis experience is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be committed to customer service.
- Able to work to demanding deadlines.
- Work effectively as team member or leader.
- Ability to facilitate and make decisions.
- Work with a sense of urgency.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-motivated and passionate about machine design.
- Must maintain a valid passport.
- Must pass mandatory drug screen and background check.
- Maintain current driver’s license.
Wage Type: Salaried-Exempt