Are you ready to change the future? You have the opportunity to join the company that helped establish solar markets around the world and continues to innovate in the renewable energy space. SunPower has facilities in the US, Europe and Asia, and we are seeking talented people to join us in building a clean energy future.
Widely recognized as the world’s standard for solar, SunPower produces the world’s highest efficiency solar products. Our quality and reliability standards far exceed those of any other company in the industry.
SunPower and Total, the global energy producer and provider, have announced a transformational investment by Total in SunPower. The companies have signed a set of strategic agreements to accelerate SunPower’s growth in the increasingly competitive solar sector. Total’s investment is based on SunPower’s leading position in designing, manufacturing and delivering the world’s highest efficiency, highest reliability solar systems with guaranteed performance. These agreements will accelerate SunPower’s growth and further improve its financial strength.
SunPower is committed to the success of our company, our employees and the communities around the world that need us most. We support our employees’ commitment to their communities through a culture of volunteerism, and through The SunPower Foundation, which makes grants to green initiatives throughout the world. As a company, we operate with the highest sustainability standards.
In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to help develop the next generation of solar power plant tracking systems. Located in Richmond, the Mechanical Design Engineer reports to the Manager of Systems Design and will be responsible for delivering a wide range of solutions throughout various design projects.
The ideal person will have experience in product design, machine design, and testing. The majority of the work will be split between doing product design work, building and testing prototypes and ramp-up to production. The ideal candidate will be very comfortable with a) building complex cost and down-selection models b) designing parts and products using SolidWorks, c) building and testing prototypes using standard machine tools and various rapid prototyping techniques, and d) working with suppliers to transition parts from release into production. Familiarity with low-cost structure design and mechanisms highly desirable. Familiarity with welding, machining, sheet metal design, and industrial design practices also considered positively. The candidate must have a basic understanding of DC electrical systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participate with other members of the product development team to define conceptual design options and narrow those options to a final preferred solution.
• Develop detailed design models and fabrication drawings to support prototype releases.
• Build and test prototypes and support the transition of the products from engineering to manufacturing.
• Work closely with vendors to receive quality parts on time.
• Analyze and test concepts and detailed designs.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• 4-year degree in a mechanical design related field
• Strong mechanical design aptitude
• Excellent CAD skills, SolidWorks preferred
• Hands-on prototyping capability
• Fluent in English
• 3-5 years experience in mechanical design or product design
• Experience with common machining practices desirable
• Demonstrated ability to develop creative and innovative design solutions
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Self-motivated, with ability to work both independently and with multiple teams.
• Strong communications skills required
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
• Some amount of travel will be required, not exceed 10%
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is SunPower’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. SunPower disapproves of, and will not tolerate, unlawful discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, religion, disability, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws. *LI-JM
SunPower Corporation - 19 months ago