The Mechanical Designer conceptualizes, creates and revises detail, fabrication, and assembly models, drawings and bills of materials. Applies approved drafting and tolerancing methods to complete drawings without assistance. Develops detailed designs from general requirements specified by customers and engineers. Complete working knowledge of GD&T. Has a thorough knowledge of Computer Aided Design software preferably Solidworks. Performs tasks using 2D and 3D design and drafting and database software operating on a PC.
Follow instructions of Supervisor/Manager.
Develop detailed designs in 2D and 3D from concepts and general requirements.
Create and revise detailed, assembly models and installation drawings.
Create and interpret 3D design layout and manufacturing drawings.
Create and revise detail Work-Order / Manufacturing Instructions.
Create and revise detail Bills of Materials and Source Control Drawings.
Understand and apply Company Engineering and Drafting Procedures.
Self-check drawings as well as checking co-worker’s drawings thoroughly for GD&T, technical dimensional and formal accuracy.
Troubleshoot components, assemblies and manufacturing discrepancies.
Operate a network PC and manipulate electronic files.
Operate MRP software on a PC preferably JD Edwards or SAP.
Operate printing, plotting and copy equipment.
Maintain product line documentation.
Maintain drafting document files and libraries.
Assist Manufacturing, Planning and Engineering.
Assist Marketing and Program Management.
Operate word processing software on a PC.
Understand and apply geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
Communicate clearly and openly.
Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Maintain, plan, schedule project level design activities.
Break upper-level activities into lower-level tasks.
Write and/or review technical documents.
Assist at manufacturing fabrication and/or final assembly.
Help maintain drafting and computer equipment.
Proper use of Company facilities, equipment and supplies.
Protect Company corporate proprietary documentation.
Comply with Company and departmental policies, procedures and regulations.
Work during scheduled hours.
Maintain quality output while meeting department production requirements.
Use safe conduct.
Respect other employees and their personal property.
Work under the immediate direction of the Group leader and manager.
Produce Company compliant and accurate documents.
Perform tasks in a timely manner.
Communicate with technicians, engineers and vendors to resolve problems
Inform supervisor of task status and conflicts.
Inform supervisor of any job-related problem.
Experience and Education
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Four years design experience.
- Six years drafting experience.
- Three years computer drafting experience.
- College-level training (or equivalent experience) and thorough knowledge of engineering graphics including: Design Intent Parametric Modeling, Views and sections, Dimensioning, Space geometry, Surface definition, and working knowledge of mechanical component design, assemblies and subassemblies.
Must be able to travel < 5% of the time
- Knowledge of accepted commercial drafting practices such as ASME and ANSI.
- Working knowledge of mathematics, geometry and trigonometry.
- Advanced knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Advanced 3D computer drafting ability.
- Advanced computer proficiency.
- Advanced knowledge of design through manufacturing process.
- Advanced knowledge of structural and mechanical fundamentals.
- Advanced knowledge of manufacturing and production methods.
- Accepted commercial drafting practices.
- Good communications skills.
- Clear and concise writing ability.
- Detailed structural/mechanical knowledge of Company products and product lines.
No Clearance Required
Machines and Equipment Involved:
Relationships and Contacts:
- Computer workstation
- Software: SolidWorks, Microsoft Office
- Printers and plotters on network
- Miscellaneous office equipment
Internal: Co-workers, Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Production Control.
External: Supply vendors, service vendors and customers.
This position is with General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics Government Systems, Inc., but which operationally reports into General Dynamics C4 Systems, Inc. Benefit packages and policies of General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies may vary from those available at General Dynamics C4 Systems, Inc.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce
Only qualified candidates will be considered for these positions. To apply, those candidates must submit a resume to our website. You must specifically identify the requisition by number as the position of interest. Generally, a resume will remain active in our database for 90 days.
Please note that computer resources/web access is available at local state job services, libraries and other public locations.
Internal candidates may apply using the following link:
General Dynamics C4 Systems - 7 months ago
General Dynamics C4 Systems specializes in command and control, communications networking, rugged computing, information assurance and cyber...