A BOLD SPIRIT. A PROUD HISTORY.
. It means "Toward The Unexplored." This motto defines the very spirit and history of the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base, CA. It is where Capt. "Chuck" Yeager became the first human to break the sound barrier, where tomorrow's ambitious aviation breakthroughs continue to become reality and where talented civilian professionals in various walks-of-life experience truly unique careers. Please visit our website
THIS IS A 90 DAY STANDING REGISTER
90 Day Register: This announcement will result in a 90 day register (list of eligible candidates) that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN DESIGNATED FOR DRUG TESTING. IF YOU ARE SELECTED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO URINALYSIS TESTING PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT AND YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO RANDOM URINALYSIS TESTING AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
WHO MAY APPLY: ***This is an upgrade of an encumbered position. Individuals assigned to the 412th Test Wing/CE, at Edwards Air Force Base,
will receive first consideration.***
**Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee (Current, Permanent, Career/Career-Conditional Employee)
DoD Transfer (Army, Navy, DFAS, etc.--Excluding Air Force)
Federal Time-In-Grade (TIG) Requirement for General Schedule (GS) Positions:
Current/prior federal civilian applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the next lower grade, or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral.
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THESE DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AND MUST BE RECEIVED PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT (BY 11:59PM EASTERN TIME):
1. Résumé, for each block of work experience you must include mo/year (starting/ending dates), salary, hours per week, job title, supervisors name/phone number (may we contact statement).
2. Responses to the on-line Occupational Questionnaire.
U.S. Citizenship Required
Travel and relocation expenses may or may not be paid
Back to top
As a Mechanical Engineer, NH-0830-03, you will provide cradle-to-grave mechanical engineering support, programming, engineering design, and construction surveillance of operations and maintenance projects by various contract methods including simplified acquisition.
You will also:
- Develop and program short-and long-term maintenance actions based on economic analysis.
- Initiate or review designs and proposals for maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, expansion, conversion, deconstruction, renovation, etc. of civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical systems and other systems of related size and complexity through direction of single projects of ongoing programs.
- Provide programming and design work for and manage assigned programs that encompass the full range of civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical construction, maintenance, and repair programs and other systems of related size and complexity for use in government facilities, including all structures and facilities at the AFFTC/AFRL.
- Coordinate the preparation of and review architect and engineer (A&E) statements of work (SOW).
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies to ensure programmed development will not prematurely become obsolete.
Back to top
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: (All Grade Levels)
Candidates for these positions must possess:
. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
For a description of how to qualify based on a combination of education and experience under section B go to this link:
Applicants qualifying under paragraph B.4. with a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, must provide a written statement describing the extensive training plan he/she has completed to develop professional engineering competence, or how their several years of engineering-type experience has provided them with the professional knowledge of engineering, which is defined as the comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences applicable to a specialty field of engineering that characterizes a full 4-year professional engineering curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree, or the equivalent.
AND SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE
Subsequent to meeting the Basic Education requirements outlined above, you must also possess at least one year of professional experience in or directly related to the work of the position. This experience must have equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties described above. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade, (GS-11),
pay band, (NH-02), or equivalent in the Federal Service.
at the next lower grade, pay band or equivalent, or the level of difficulty and complexity,
the engineer independently plans and carries out project work, based on project and administrative assignments received from the supervisor, who provides general information on the work. The incumbent must have a professional knowledge of a broad range of mechanical engineering concepts, principles and practices and extensive familiarity with related engineering disciplines and architecture to manage engineering projects and programs, determine compliance with various requirements, and recommend timely and economical solutions to complex engineering problems.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of a broad range of mechanical engineering concepts, principles and practices and extensive familiarity with related engineering disciplines and architecture to manage engineering projects and programs, determine compliance with various requirements, and recommend timely and economical solutions to complex engineering problems.
2. Knowledge of various types of civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical systems installation, construction and maintenance requirements, related systems, and system design concepts to develop short- and long-term range construction, upgrade, maintenance and repair project plans and programs.
3. Knowledge of standard Federal contracting regulations, practices, procedures, and program planning, budgeting cycles, financial control and budget systems and management.
4. Knowledge of automated data processing concepts, system capabilities, and economic usage to effectively accomplish assigned engineering and program management functions.
5. Knowledge of health, safety, and environmental requirements as outlined in applicable standards and regulations and of environmental principles, practices, procedures, laws, regulations, and current legislative issues.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid work on the same basis as for paid experience. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. To receive credit for such experience you must indicate clearly the nature of the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the number of hours per week spent in such employment.
Back to top
This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
1. This position has been designated for drug testing.
Incumbent is subject to random urinalysis testing as a condition of employment.
The employee must, within 30-days of assuming this position and by 31 October annually thereafter, file an SF-450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report.
The employee is required to attend annual ethics and procurement integrity training.
3. The employee is subject to Temporary Duty Assignment (TDY) of approximately 30 days per year.
4. A valid state drivers license may be required.
5. Membership in professional organizations and professional registration may be required.
APPLICANT MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A SECRET LEVEL SECURITY CLEARANCE AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
The work is primarily sedentary, but there may be some walking, or bending involved in activities such as inspections of installed equipment or construction-stage visits.
: Work is performed in a typical office setting, although there may be occasionally exposure to conditions in buildings under construction or contractors plants.
If you are deaf or Hard of Hearing and need assistance via TDD/TTY, please contact Andrea Rathbun at (801) 586-1819.
Special Employment Consideration:
Individuals with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the U.S. Air Force mission. For further information or to determine your eligibility click here:
Special Hiring Authorities
) Applicants who are selected must meet the qualification requirements and be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. If you are eligible and wish to be considered for non-competitive appointment, please indicate "5CFR 213.3102(u)" on your resume or state you are an individual with a disability eligible for a Schedule A appointment and follow all other instructions for applying.
Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. For more information on this policy please go to:
Appointing Authority allows agencies to appoint a military spouse without competition for a maximum of 2 years from the date on the documents required to prove eligibility. Additional information regarding this authority can be obtained at:
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
Please follow all instructions carefully.
Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility, qualifications, and/or rating.
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement:
To begin the process, click the
- Online Application (Questionnaire)
- Resume - If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process.
To fax documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page
using the following Vacancy ID
. Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to
. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you
that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications within 2 business days. A list of required documents for each eligibility may be located
Eligibility Documentation, SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
Individuals with Disabilities - Eligibility for appointment under this authority consists of two parts. Click
- Transcripts, if qualifying based on education or positive education series
for more information
Any questions concerning this announcement may be addressed to Karen Archibald (801)586-4770KAREN.ARCHIBALD@HILL.AF.MIL The subject line of your email must indicate the announcement number only (i.e., 6Z-Hill-816421-759275-BMJ). Email inquiries are to address specific questions concerning this announcement.
General inquiries unrelated to a specific announcement will not receive a response
. Responses to inquiries will generally be returned within 2 business days.
COMPLETE APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59PM EASTERN TIME ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT,
Monday, January 07, 2013.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Air Force Personnel Center
OR TDD WITHIN SAN ANTONIO AREA 565-2276
DO NOT MAIL OR EMAIL CALL ONL,
Department of the Air Force - 23 months ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...