ECOtality specializes in developing a wide range of high power smart charging systems delivering a fast charge on batteries designed for electrical vehicles, airport ground support equipment and material handling equipment.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for creation, development, and validation of mechanical components for charger systems and accessories across many product lines. Key area of focus will be to create 3D geometry of charger assemblies and provide complete drawing packages including full assembly, sub-assemblies, and detailed component drawings. Provides strong technical expertise and guidance to the product development teams and applies knowledge and experience of engineering principles to design products.
1. Perform engineering calculations, design, and analysis with emphasis on structures and thermal dynamics.
2. Design and develop charger concepts and completed CAD renderings using SolidWorks.
3. Provide mechanical design and support as part of a cross functional development team.
4. Design complex mechanical layouts utilizing plastics, metal, and electronic components.
5. Provide consulting and troubleshooting on technical problems that arise in product development.
6. Ensure the mechanical design meets the intent of the requirements document.
7. Utilize geometric dimensioning and tolerance standards in performing complete tolerance stack-up analysis on all battery and charger assemblies and components.
8. Develop and support test requirements for product characterization and validation.
9. Assist with prototypes and engineering builds (hands on capability required).
10. Support transition of development to production launch (i.e. documentation, drawings, bills of materials, fixtures, & tooling)
11. Gather and analyze test data to execute engineering judgment in implementing corrective measures.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Working knowledge of sheet metal, injection molding, and extrusion processes.
2. Proficiency and direct experience in SolidWorks, AutoCAD and/or CAD software.
3. Utilization of ANSI Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as standard practice.
4. Working knowledge of commercial & Industrial performance standards such as UL & CE.
5. Ability to work directly with vendors and customers.
6. Effective oral and written communication skills.
7. Ability to work effectively on cross-functional teams.
· Required: Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
1. Five (5) years related experience in design engineering practice with three (3) years experience with SolidWorks design software.
2. Strong knowledge in 3D modeling and drafting.
3. Experience in mechanical tolerance analysis, 3D modeling, and 2D CAD drafting.
4. Experience with Product Data Management Software (Enterprise PDM preferred).
5. Working knowledge of configuration control and management.
6. ANSI/ISO Documentation Standard experience desired.
7. Knowledge of printed circuit board manufacturing and electronic assemblies desired.
8. Familiarity with Design for Lean Manufacturing principles desired.
ECOtality - 2 years ago