Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices.
Check out this quick video for a glimpse into our products:
Reporting to Livescribe’s Director of Hardware Engineering, the Mechanical Engineer Manager is a senior, hands-on management position. The successful candidate will be capable and collaborative when working cross-functionally within Livescribe and with mechanical partners, will be an effective, results-driven manager when guiding the work of mechanical contributors – both internal and outsourced – and will be able to confidently make hands-on contributions to detailed mechanical design and validation.
Work closely with partners on plastics and metal tooling design and ensure high quality and manufacturability results.
- Primary hands-on mechanical contributor working with new products team. Actively collaborate with Marketing, Engineering, Supply Chain and all design and manufacturing partners to bring new product concepts successfully into market.
- Work collaboratively with external/internal design resources, ODMs or CMs to ensure industrial designs are translated into engineering specifications and detailed mechanical designs which are successfully taken through development into production.
- Support new program, accessories development as well as sustaining development for smartpens.
- Work closely with documentation management to own mechanical BOM. Work closely with vendors of mechanical components to review specifications and ensure suitability for new designs. Actively engage with Supply Chain team to seek out and validate cost reduction strategies for mechanical components.
- Effectively communicate cross functionally and across department boundaries.
Compensation packages include competitive salaries and stock incentives. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- MSME (or BSME with equivalent experience) required
- 8 to 15 years of experience in mechanical engineering
- 3 to 5 years of experience leading mechanical teams and/or projects
- 5+ years of experience in the design of integrated consumer electronics products
- 5+ years hands-on experience with Pro-E
- Experience in the entire HW lifecycle from industrial design through detailed design and tooling design into production and sustaining changes to improve yield and/or product quality
- Competence in the engineering documentation process and coordination of mechanical BOM including 2-D drawings, documentation, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to shape innovative industrial designs into high quality mechanical designs that can be mass-produced
- Experience with the mechanical characteristics that influence acoustic properties of integrated audio devices is highly desirable