The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
As a member of the IRC's External Relations Department, the Media Relations Officer will work closely with the Senior Director of Communications and the global media and communications team to increase the organization's visibility, spotlight its international programs, call attention to advocacy priorities, provide media relations and editorial support during humanitarian emergencies, and support media outreach for advocacy initiatives. This position is based at the IRC's headquarters in New York and reports to the Senior Director of Communications.
- Conceptualize and implement media strategies and campaigns aimed at generating coverage of the IRC’s international humanitarian aid programs and key advocacy issues.
- Write advocacy-oriented press releases and edit field-produced press releases.
- Produce op-eds, blogs and other content for external publication. Edit commentaries produced by other IRC staff.
- Work with advocacy and field teams to develop public positions, messaging and talking points.
- Help guide and advise field communications officers.
- Help field staff identify stories for IRC and external media.
- Respond to media queries—providing background information, arranging interviews and facilitating media visits to field programs.
- Coach and prepare staff for media interviews and visits.
- Help organize press briefings, media conference calls and media training workshops.
- Coordinate and publicize field visits and other activities of high-profile IRC supporters.
- Expand and nurture IRC’s mainstream and social media network.
- Help manage the IRC’s media database, build lists and track media coverage.
CANDIDATES MUST send copies or links to at least four relevant writing samples, along with a cover letter and CV.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in media relations, public advocacy or as a journalist, ideally with a focus on international or humanitarian issues
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related international field
- Top-notch writing and editing skills with ability to produce polished and compelling copy on tight deadlines
- Creativity in tapping and cultivating mainstream media and social networking communities
- Keen insight into the news business and understanding of what makes journalists tick
- Proven ability to identify and market good story ideas
- Strong media relationships
- A positive, energetic and proactive multi-tasker who can work independently or as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively, efficiently, diplomatically and calmly in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive
- Strong listener, with a high degree of professionalism and flexibility, including the ability to prioritize and effectively manage assignments in a timely fashion
Please apply at: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA2/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=8167
JobHost - 2 years ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...