The nation's largest child advocacy association, National PTA, currently has an opening for a Media Relations Manager located in Alexandria, Virginia. The Media Relations Manager oversees the association’s outreach to journalists, bloggers, producers and editors representing print, broadcast and digital news sources. The position is directly responsible for the National PTA relationship with national media, and will assist in cultivating and leveraging local, regional and state-based relationships as needed. The Media Relations Manager also will supervise media partnerships, spokespeople training, and celebrity and VIP engagement. In this role, the Media Relations Manager will manage one employee and several vendors.
The essential duties and responsibilities of the Media Relations Manager will include but are not limited to:
Education & Experience
- Develop media and blogger relationships and related outreach strategies.
- Respond to media-related requests and needs during the work day as well as on weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Position spokespeople as experts and secure for them prominent public speaking engagements, interviews and features.
- Secure and organize media events, presentations and meetings.
- Write, edit, design and deliver all media materials, including pitches, news releases, media advisories, statements, and op-eds as well as talking points and Q&A resources.
- Prepare spokespeople and educate staff and volunteers on media relations.
- Produce a bimonthly podcast, PTA Radio, which includes scheduling interviews and recordings, scripting, distributing and evaluating each episode.
- Support the development of resolutions and position statements.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Maintain a media database and log as well as online newsroom.
- Supervise Multicultural Communications Specialist and manage vendors.
- Liaise with subject-matter experts to ensure the accuracy of content and with graphic designers to improve the presentation of information.
- Follow organizational processes for preparation and approval of materials.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, public policy or related field is required
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience with at least 5 years of experience in media relations
- Previous experience working with executives and leadership volunteers
Application Note: In addition to a resume and cover letter, National PTA requests that applicants submit one media-related writing sample (i.e., a pitch, news release, media advisory, statement, op-ed).
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Excellent interviewing and research skills
- Proficient in AP writing style
- Demonstrated tact and success in working with executives and leadership volunteers
- Proven record of developing relationships at all levels of an organization and across functions as well as with citizen and professional journalists
- Able to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines
- Familiar with education, health, parenting and/or advocacy-related terminology and concepts
- Able to travel up to 25 percent of the time
- Advanced skills in MS Office
National PTA offers competitive salary, medical, dental, life, LTD, 403 (b), transportation benefit, flexible spending accounts, EAP, paid vacation, sick, holiday and personal days. ONLY resumes including salary requirements will be considered. Send resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, National PTA, 1250 N. Pitt St., Alexandria, VA 22314, or via e-mail: email@example.com EOE. No phone calls, please. For information on National PTA, please visit our website: www.pta.org .
National PTA - 11 months ago