As part the National Geographic Team of Cengage Learning, the Media Researcher selects and tracks (or oversees the process of selecting and tracking) photos, permissioned illustration, fine art, video and other digital media used in National Geographic Learning programs and manages the processes and fees associated with this material. He/she coordinates all aspects of the image procurement process, which includes negotiating rates, creating and monitoring the status of agreements, and preparing reports as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Acquires images and media content that meet the conceptual, editorial, instructional, design, and production requirements of a program.
• Understands the National Geographic brand and photo standards, and applies these standards in selecting all image and media content.
• Utilizes all internal resources of National Geographic, as appropriate.
• Selects images that support the creative design vision of a program.
• Collaborates with the Media Research group, Design, Editorial, and Technology in planning visual content. Supports both print and media products and components.
• Creates complete, accurate photo specs guidelines for project specific needs.
• Pre-clears rights (or oversees the pre-clearance process) for all permissioned photography, illustration, video, and audio content.
• Provide guidance on the implementation of media research workflows and process requirements.
• Partners with Design to process work-for-hire contracts for commissioned illustrations.
• Builds and maintains relationships with image sources, including stock houses, museums, libraries, galleries, artists, and agents.
• Maintains accurate and complete records to meet legal and financial requirements.
• Utilizes databases effectively to track all image and media acquisitions to hand off to rights acquisition team.
• Suggests new systems for streamlining digital asset management and rights pre-clearance process.
• Contributes to budgets, as requested by the Media Research Manager.
• Contributes information to scheduling and workflow documents as requested.
• Manages time effectively to meet all deadlines.
• Monitors contracts and invoices, to assure consistency with budgets and forecasts.
• Participates as appropriate in status meetings.
• Balances quality and budget requirements throughout the selection process.
• Bachelor of Arts (BA) in photography, design, or fine art, and/or equivalent experience
• Minimum two years experience in photo research associated with educational materials.
• Must be proficient in a Macintosh environment.
• Must be able to manage databases to track information.
• Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
• Must be proficient in web-based search functionalities.
• Strong negotiating skills and interpersonal skills essential.
• Excellent organization, time management, and verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in managing and developing relationships with outsourced vendors and contractors
• Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously, while adhering to tight deadlines.
• Experience in an educational publishing environment.
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop); Adobe Acrobat; FileMaker Pro; Extensis Portfolio, Lightroom, or other Digital Asset Management software.
• Expertise in coordinating between creative and editorial teams.
• Strong ability to work across multiple teams/departments to ensure the timely completion of programs.
• Expert knowledge of standard and niche sources for image and media content.
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
CengageCareers Account Login
If you do not remember your password click here .
Back to Search Results
Cengage Learning - 19 months ago
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional and...