supports the practice of ophthalmology in the Beetham Eye Unit by participating in the delivery of direct patient care and related administrative activities.
Hours are Monday - Friday, from 9:00 am - 5:30 pm.
- Independently facilitate patient flow through appointments and the Eye Unit to ensure schedules remain on-time, updating patients and co workers regarding delays or changes in schedule.
- Prepares diagnostic dye injection and placement of I.V. line, ensuring line stability for duration of dye injection process.
- Perform ordered phlebotomy draws for all ophthalmic clinical trials, following clinical protocols. Initiates appropriate action for vein injury if it occurs during draw
- Monitor patients in waiting areas and exam rooms who are not being attended by other staff for safety and comfort, i.e. low blood sugars reactions, reaction to procedures done. Initiate treatment when appropriate, summon assistance when necessary
- Provide primary back-up to pediatric phlebotomy for planned absences.
- Provide back-up to Senior Trial Coordinator to prepare and ship daily specimens for testing.
- Set up exam rooms for days activity as appropriate based on procedures to be done and equipment to be used and close at end of day
- Participate in ocular examination/procedures as requested by providers to assist with equipment operation and/or to help patient tolerate procedure
- Set up for minor ocular surgical procedures, ensuring room and instruments are ready and assist during procedure as requested
- Assist at providers request with set up of laser, preparation of lens, ensuring consent forms have been completed for with laser/cryo-therapy as requested
- Clean/sterilize exam rooms and equipment using appropriate techniques and equipment such as autoclave
- Monitor stock supply, i.e eye drops, medications, tissues, working with Registered Nurse to reorder. Ensure rooms are stocked with necessary supplies and paper forms.
- Medical Assistant training required; accredited training preferred
- 1+ years of direct patient care
- Experience in an ophthalmologic setting preferred.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency with phlebotomy and IV line placement including use of heparin lock and butterfly.
- Working knowledge of the anatomy of the vein to ensure appropriate placement of IV line.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an EEO M/F/D/V
Joslin Diabetes Center - 5 months ago