Department: HGH Specialty Clinic
Req Number: 10674
- SUMMARY: The Medical Assistant provides basic clinical, front office clerical, and technical support services for client/patient/clinic under the clinical supervision of a Registered Nurse or licensed physician/podiatrist.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE : The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. The Medical Assistant may perform a variety of routine patient care services and assist treatments under appropriate supervision activities to include but not limited to, collect and record patient data including height, weight, temperature, pulse, respiration rate, blood pressure, head circumferences and pain level.
2. Collects basic information from patients about their present and previous medical condition.
3. Performs simple non-invasive testing, i.e., EKG, fetal monitoring placement Maternal Child Health [MCH]
4. Transports patients to ancillary services, assists patients with limited mobility in wheelchairs, with crutches, gait impairment, and/or gurney assists.
5. Performs simple and routine medical tasks and procedures, i.e., Snellen vision test, urine dipstick test, pregnancy test, basic hearing tests, sputum collection and specimen collection [non-invasive, except for venous puncture].
6. Following specific training, the Medical Assistant may administer P.O. intradermal, intramuscular, subcutaneous injections, and immunizations, performs skin tests, i.e., PPD placement.
7. Maintains patient examination areas, cleans, maintains, and sterilizes equipment. Stocks examination rooms, orders medical supplies and equipment.
8. Performs clerical functions, i.e., answers phones, uses computers, registers patients, makes appointments, completes forms as necessary, files medical records.
9. Assists providers/nurses with examination and treatment/procedures. Prepare patients according to procedures.
10. Performs veni-punctures for blood draws with phlebotomy certification, i.e., glucose monitoring, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and finger-sticks for CBS.
11. Performs application and removal of bandages and dressings, and application of orthopedic appliances, e.g.., knee immobilizer, etc..
12. Transports specimens to laboratory/pathology.
13. Performs other related duties as delegated by the Nurse Manager, CN III or designee.
14. Participates in Performance Improvement/Quality Control activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Graduation from a certified/accredited school. Minimum Experience : Training must be from either a licensed Physician and Surgeon, or Podiatrist who certified the content and proficiency of training according to California law to qualify as a Medical Assistant. Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support Certification issued by the American Heart Association. Other advanced life support certifications may be required per unit/department specialty according to patient care policies. Required Licenses/Certifications: must maintain ongoing Certification or in-service training as required by the California Code of Regulations (CCR).
Alameda County Medical Center - 17 months ago