Under the supervision of the Office Manager prepares the patient for evaluation and treatment. Performs clinical procedures in accordance with licensure to include injections, venipuncture, EKG, tray set-up, application of bandages, surgical assisting and accurate testing and screening of specimens. Additionally, may work front desk operations on days when not scheduled clinically.
- Patient Preparation- Clinical
- Assists physician with lab tests and special procedures.
- Triage, vital, and room patients.
- Prepare patients for physician evaluation.
- Assist physician in evaluation and treatment of the patient.
- Administer medications/injections under supervision of the physician.
- Perform ordered procedures, EKG, venipuncture, tray set-ups, assist physician as needed.
- Office Duties- Clinical
- Correctly and accurately documents ICD-9 and CPT codes.
- Maintain clean, neat and well-stocked exam rooms.
- Proficiency with EMR (Electronic Medical Record)
- Coordinate the flow of patients in the examination/treatment rooms.
- Monitor inventory for expiration and ordering.
- Minimal assistance in new employee training.
- Inform appropriate personnel of supplies and maintenance problems.
- Notify manager of any problems.
- Remain current on latest managed care guidelines with reference to what patients services can be rendered by specific insurance plans (i.e. supplies, x-rays, etc.)
- Patient Care- Front Office/Reception
- Greet all patients in a warm, friendly and professional manner.
- Answer and screen incoming phone calls, take and give messages in a timely manner.
- Register patients promptly and efficiently
- Distribute and verify accuracy of patient form completion.
- Complete patient referrals as needed.
- Discharge patient.
Education and Experience Required:
- Billing (30%)
- Verify insurance coverage/payment status
- Review completed chart for diagnosis and coding by the physician. If pertinent information is lacking, informing the physician of missing information.
- Enter ICD-9 and CPT codes into the billing system for the patients
- If necessary, assist physician in researching the proper code for the service provided through the on-site manual or calling the billing department.
- Complete daily deposit.
- Accurately post/document payments received
- Administrative procedures
- Maintain clean, neat and orderly work area.
- Sorting and distributing mail and deliveries.
- Balance and close for the day.
- Maintain correct balance in cash box.
- Attend and actively participate in all training, in-services, and staff meetings.
- Completes daily tasks in a timely manner.
- Maintain patient daily log.
- Medical staff understands if that she/he is one of two employees in the office, and she/he must be willing to cross-cover other administrative functions in the absence of a coworker.
- Monitor fax machine
- Receive, notify, and distribute all incoming faxes in a timely manner.
- Follow up on incomplete or misdirected faxes as needed.
- Send outgoing faxes as needed.
- Train backup personnel or new receptionists as needed.
- Skilled nursing with current license and /or certificate:
- CMA, LPN, RN, or Paramedic
- BLS certification
- Minimum of 6 months of relevant experience is required
- Knowledge and Skills
- Phlebotomy, EKG
- Vital signs, patient assessment
- Laboratory testing and processing
- Administration of Medications (Oral, IM, Sub-q, Intradermal, IV)
- Knowledge of managed care policies and restrictions
- Exposure to blood borne pathogens- must adhere to universal precautions.
- Availability to work weekends and holidays as needed.
Emergency Medical Associates - 17 months ago