To assist physicians, nurses and patients by providing ambulatory medical care services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for clinic patient flow, informing physicians of patients’ arrival and room assignment
Accompanies and/or assists patients to the exam room in a professional manner
Obtains patient vital signs, to include height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse and respiration. Pulse oximetry if needed.
Able to perform using manual equipment and Welch Allen spot vital sign machine and import results to electronic medical record in a timely fashion
This includes setting up the exam room and preparing the patient
- Assist physicians during examinations and procedures
UA, urine pregnancy, quick strep testing, stool testing, fingersticks for blood sugars
- Performs EKGs
- Performs Labs
Vision, ear lavage, simple dressing changes, peak flows, nebulizer treatments, fleets enema administration
- Performs tests/procedures
Ability to calculate dosages (demonstrated via passing yearly written medication exam)
- Explains test procedures to patients
- Current in adult CPR/AED
Administer medications (oral, intramuscular, subcutaneous, intradermal, inhalation, rectal, topical) using proper technique – this duty can only be performed after the MA has demonstrated competency to clinic RN yearly
Passes yearly CBOs
- Communicates laboratory and test results to physicians and/or nurses
- May assist with other support activities, to include packaging and sterilizing equipment and supplies
- Maintains patient areas clean and safe
- Maintains and improves knowledge and expertise through continuous training
- Must pass all tests in a maximum of two attempts
- Performs other duties as assigned
patients, families/visitors, providers, other department staff, and co-workers.
- Takes inventory of supplies, equipment and medication
- Ensures clinical areas are well stocked
- Ensures expiration dates have not lapsed
- Communicates problems and concerns to supervisors
- Attends staff meetings
- Reports equipment/touchwork problems
- Provides excellent customer service by demonstrating positive behaviors towards
COMPUTER SKILLS – IDX/TOUCHWORKS
Such as notifying physician of PPD results, FOB results, etc.
- Properly import vital signs into the patients’ electronic medical record
- Generates accurate simple tasks
All tests must be passed in a maximum of two attempts
- Able to locate and follow computerized orders
- Able to appropriately document care and services into the patients’ electronic medical record
- Able to correctly complete electronic charges for nurse visits
- Able to pull up schedules and print labels
- Attend IT training
- Attend all training classes to maintain computer skills and learn any touchworks updates
- Pass all proficiency tests
Additional Clinical Duties if hired to the Department of Medicine Specialty Clinic
Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and endoscopy (small bowel and esophageal).
- Performs tests/procedures
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school graduate and graduate from a Medical Assistant School. Certification or Registration as a Medical Assistant required and required to keep current.
Two to three years experience of general patient care (i.e. hospital, physician’s office or ambulatory care setting) preferred
George Washington Medical Faculty Associates - 19 months ago