Medical Assistant - HIHC
Summary : This position provides a variety of services integral to the functioning of Heartland International Health Center (HIHC). The Medical Assistant is primarily responsible for providing support to the clinical providers and community health nurses by facilitating patient flow, assisting with various patient care activities, and performing related administrative and clerical functions. The Medical Assistant is responsible for providing optional service to clients, respecting and demonstrating patient confidentiality, being culturally competent, and working within the established parameters of the job at all times. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintains patient flow by escorting patients from the waiting area to the examination room. Assists the ongoing management of patient flow by ensuring that rooms are efficiently utilized, minimizing patient wait time.
- Prepares patients for their visit, examination procedure and/or treatment in accordance with established procedures. Obtains vital signs as necessary. Documents complaints based on information received.
- Prepares appropriate paperwork for procedures, laboratory work, tests, or referrals for provider/Community Health Nurse (CHN) signature and comment.
- Assists providers and nurses with procedures in accordance with established protocols. Assist providers and nurses in urgent and emergency medical situations, including obtaining and operating medical equipment in accordance with established protocols and standards.
- Administers medication and/or immunizations administered intramuscularly, intradermally or subcutaneously under the direction of an RN and physician. Appropriately documents medication administered.
- Under direction of a provider or CHN, provides assistance by returning patient telephone calls related to prescription refills, normal laboratory results, referrals, etc. Provides assistance with placing telephone calls to pharmacies to request prescription refills, as specifically ordered by a provider.
- Maintains a high quality patient care environment by cleaning, preparing, and stocking all examination rooms and treatment areas in accordance with established standards. Assists in the care, cleaning, sterilization, and maintenance of medical equipment and instruments. This includes the monitoring of relevant expiration dates, established maintenance schedules, and assistance in maintaining medical supply inventories.
- Understands, respects, and demonstrates patient confidentially in all endeavors. Understand legal ramifications of violating any component of patient confidentiality, understands the protocol and related procedures for the release of patient information.
- Assists in the collection, labeling, and processing of specimens. Performs phlebotomy and simple laboratory tests as requested and as outlined in the Illinois Clinical Laboratory Act and related regulations.
- Adheres to OSHA and infection control policies and procedures.
- Participates in health screenings, educational programs, and team meetings.
- Performs receptionist, patient service, clerical and other functions as needed to support the efficient operation of the practice.
- Performs wound dressing changes and wound cultures.
- Provides patient information and instructions including HIV pre-test counseling and HIV-negative post test counseling.
- Specifically prohibited activities include (but are not limited to):
- Independent telephone triage;
- Independent health history or risk assessment;
- Independent diagnosis or treatment of patient;
- Independently prescribing or refilling prescriptions;
- Handing out medications samples;
- Arterial punctures, IV injections of any kind;
- Medical treatment, analysis or reading test results;
- Advising patients about their condition or treatment regime;
- Administering any anesthetic agent.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, appropriate professional associations, private funding sources, agency plans, policies and unit guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluation reviews and/or in house and external staff training to ensure adherence to standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- When not performing medical assistant related tasks, may:
- Perform operator functions, including answering and accurately directing incoming calls from patients, community organizations, medical organizations, and other external parties
- Provide front desk administrative support in Primary Care Clinic, including registering and assessing participants for program eligibility
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
- Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or GED and graduation from an accredited school of medical assisting.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: CPR certification required. American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) CMA Certification -or- American Medical Technologists (AMT) RMA certification preferred.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Requirement: Bi-lingual in English and Spanish may be required.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may frequently be exposed to air- and/or blood-borne pathogens.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to perform duties at off-site locations.
Heartland Alliance - 10 months ago