A non-licensed health care provider who, under the direction and supervision of a licensed health care provider, provides direct and indirect patient care, and will provide other services in the department as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtains patient vital signs, weight and I&O in a timely manner as requested.
Documents this information accurately and appropriately.
Recognizes deviations from the norms, and promptly reports to a licensed staff member.
- Understands the principles of obtaining an accurate EKG and attaches monitor leads and operates equipment when directed.
Reports problems or malfunctions in a timely manner to a licensed staff member.
Accurately completes appropriate documentation.
Performs EKGs when requested.
- Assists heath care personnel with procedures, obtains supplies and equipment as needed and assists with cleaning of the area following the procedure.
- Assists physicians with procedures such as splinting, suturing, casting, etc. by making required supplies and equipment available prior to the procedure; reassuring and communicating to the patient during the procedure; and cleaning the area after the procedure.
- Demonstrates competency in phlebotomy, including correct labeling of the specimen tubes and ordering of lab tests via the computer.
- At the direction and supervision of licensed staff, assists with the physical restraint of hostile patients as directed by established Hospital/department policy and procedure.
- Correctly assembles, initiates, and maintains charts for all patients in work area.
Prepares and transfers the completed chart to Health Information Management department upon patient discharge.
Accurately enters physician orders from patient chart into computer and completes appropriate forms and requests.
- Answers phone in a friendly and courteous manner, identifying name and department.
Respects the confidentiality of all patients.
- Receives, greets and directs patients, visitors, physicians and other hospital personnel arriving in the department in a cheerful and courteous manner.
- Enhances own professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in-services meetings and workshops, and reading of current literature.
- Demonstrates correct and safe techniques in the use of equipment according to specific product information and policies and procedures.
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 2 years of pre-hospital care activities or acute/critical care experience preferred
- Strong customer service, computer, and communication skills
- Medical Assistant Certification preferred
- For Independent Living for Seniors Employment
1 year experience with frail elderly population preferred
Rochester General Health System
- 2 years ago - save job