High School Diploma/GED
Minimum of 1 year of experience
***This position is in the Wound Center***
SUMMARY: The Medical Assistant (MA) is responsible for assisting physicians with patient care, performing appropriate procedures, and preparing rooms & equipment. The MA is also responsible for maintaining records and interacting in a professional, friendly manner with patients & family members, physicians, staff, and visitors. The MA may be required to fill some Patient Service Representative responsibilities and will be cross trained to cover other positions as needed. Work requires occasional communication outside of the work group. Communication with external contacts is for providing or receiving factual information. Courtesy and tact are required in dealing with customers.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Ascension Health Core Values, St. Agnes policies/ procedures and applicable civil laws. Is accountable for efficient use of resources and support of the St. Agnes mission.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Escorts patients to rooms, takes history and vitals.
Assists physicians with examinations, assists with procedures as requested. Prepares patients for procedures performed in the office.
Cleans exam rooms and equipment, performing sterilization procedures as necessary. Keeps exam rooms properly stocked with medical supplies, forms, and other materials needed.
4. Triages phone calls, documents information from patients via telephone, translates information to physicians for response. Places return calls as directed by physicians.
5. Pulls patient charts for visits and files charts away after visits. Prepares patient charts prior to scheduled visits with the required forms and by gathering pertinent medical information. Contacts outside medical offices and testing facilities to obtain records for visits as necessary. Prepares charts according to each physician’s individual preferences.
6. Schedules all tests and minor procedures and obtains pre-certification/pre-authorization for these tests and procedures as required by insurance carrier.
7. Calls pharmacies to refill prescriptions under the direction of a physician and obtains authorizations for prescriptions and refills as required by insurance.
8. Completes all necessary documentation during visits.
9. Assists in specimen collection. Labels specimens and accurately completes and submits paperwork to appropriate lab based on managed care contracts.
10. Orders and maintains clinical supplies for department. Places orders as needed.
11. Administers testing and injections as ordered by the physician.
12. Works with the center staff to coordinate patient flow and to assure that operations are working smoothly.
13. Accurately and thoroughly enters scheduling data. No Shows/ cancellations/add-ons are always documented. All demographics are accurate and entered properly. Insurance verification is completed for all patients.
Complies with established departmental policies for attendance, punctuality, procedures, and safety. Complies with organizational policies and procedures.
Consistently displays professionalism in dealings with customers, staff and clinicians.
Consistently and independently follows established safety and infection control procedures. Intervenes in unsafe situations.
Complies with the standards of conduct and Corporate Responsibility Program and seeks guidance when in doubt.
Meets or exceeds expectations of individuals for whom service is provided.
Participates on interdepartmental, hospital and departmental committees as appropriate
Required Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Preferred Education: Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program
Required License, Certification and/or Registration: None
Preferred License, Certification and/or Registration: Certification as Medical Assistant from one of the following: American Association of Medical Assistants (Certified Medical Assistant); American Medical Technologists (Registered Medical Assistant); or National Healthcareer Association (Certified Clinical Medical Assistant); or another nationally recognized credentialing organization.
Required Experience: One year of related experience
Preferred Experience: Previous experience obtaining insurance authorization for tests, procedures and prescription refills. Knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.