The Medical Assistant is part of the patient care team and acts as the liaison between the provider and the patient to meet the medical needs of the patient. The MA is entrusted to:
Required Behaviors :
- Assist the physician or other provider in delivering compassionate and empathetic care to the clinic patients;
- Exhibit professionalism and exercise sound clinical judgment when providing assistance to patients; and
- Act as an advocate for both the patient and the provider in order to enhance the patient experience.
As you go about fulfilling this mission, your work habits and work relationships should embody SJRMC's values. These values are our culture, our identity as an organization. Sacred Trust, Personal Reverence, Thoughtful Anticipation, Team Accountability and Creative Vitality ask more of us than merely completing some list of tasks. Our values ask for a deeper level of commitment, and what is asked of us we freely give because we believe in our mission.
Required Qualifications :Education:
Knowledge and Skills
- High school diploma or GED
- C urrent Medical Assistant certificate, or appropriate work experience
- Ability to provide excellent patient care, appropriate to the age of the patients served in the clinic.
- Articulate; good communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Knowledge of computer keyboard operation
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Previous physician clinic experience
Each Clinic serves a unique purpose. Individual Medical Assistant positions include all or some of the following:
1) Assists providers, as directed, with patient care; demonstrate maturity, self-confidence, and dependability. Is supportive of and responsive to the provider needs and acts in an organized and adaptable manner
2) Provides personalized care and assistance to patients, following the SJRMC Mission, Vision and Philosophy.
3) Rooms patients; obtain and/or verify medical history, medication information, vital signs; interview patients for reason for visit and other information pertinent to the patient’s visit
4) Administers and dispenses medications as directed; follows sample medication protocol
5) Documents pertinent information in a legible manner, and in accordance with clinic and regulatory standards
6) Cleans and stocks exam rooms; maintains adequate exam room supplies
7) Prepares for patient visits in advance; obtains all required radiology and other diagnostic studies and reports, and outside records
8) Processes patient correspondence including, but not limited to, disability insurance forms, worker’s compensation assessment forms and work releases
9) Communicates with patients, utilizing excellent verbal and writing skills, as directed. This may include informing patients of lab or other test results, and prescription refills or other information
10) Communicates with pharmacies regarding patient medication
11) Performs lab tests, following clinic and regulatory standards
12) Exercises sound medical judgment and excellent customer service at all times
13) Assumes responsibility and assists in anticipating, identifying and solving problems
14) Maintains and improves skills by attending and participating in continuing education sessions
15) Collaborates with the Customer Service Representatives to provide excellent patient care and customer service
1) Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers, who may include patients, physicians, other healthcare providers, co-workers, vendors and visitors.
2) Communicates, face to face and by telephone, with internal and external customers in a professional and courteous manner
3) Maintains a positive attitude and remains calm under pressure, while working in a fast-paced environment
4) Focuses on continuous improvement to meet customer needs; supports new programs, ideas and processes
5) Maintains sensitivity to others and adjusts behavior accordingly
6) Recognizes the importance of teamwork and effectively participates in teamwork processes.
7) Presents a professional appearance and acts as a positive representative of the clinic
1) Cross trains to assist with other clinic duties, including CSR duties and responsibilities
- Additional Responsibilities
2) Complies with and is knowledgeable of organizational and departmental policies and procedures, including safety procedures and policies
3) Contributes to the care of the environment by maintaining work areas and assisting with housekeeping tasks as needed
4) Utilizes computer system as needed for information, data analysis, and to complete tasks
5) Maintains customer’s rights (confidentiality, privacy, safety, security and decision making)
6) Attends departmental meetings and other in-services and training sessions relative to job
7) Performs basic tasks in a timely manner with minimum guidance and supervision
8) Demonstrates willingness to work toward departmental and organizational goals and objectives; is committed to the successful operation of the clinic
Safety -- > Courtesy -- > Effectiveness -- > Stewardship
- Each employee is responsible for implementing SJRMC’s Service Standards into their daily work.
Physical Demands and Environmental Work Conditions:
o San Juan Pediatrics: willing to work evening and Saturday shifts as assigned
- Overtime may be required
- Lifting up to 50 pounds may be required
- Long periods of bending, stooping, pushing, walking and sitting may be required
- Extensive computer keyboarding may occur
- Some exposure to disease may occur
- Specific clinic requirements: