This position is accountable for promoting interdependent collaboration with the member, physician/primary care manager, family and other members of the health care or case management team. To accomplish this collaboration, the case manager will assess, implement, monitor, and evaluate available resources in an effort to promote quality, cost effective outcomes while meeting the individual’s health needs. The case manager identifies appropriate providers and facilities in an effort to improve or maintain the social, emotional, functional and physical health status of the client, as well as enhance the coping skills of the family or other caregiver.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The case manager will perform the six essential activities of case management.
· Assessment – The case manager will collect in-depth information about a person’s situation and functioning to identify individual needs in order to identify members at risk for high cost medical care and develop a comprehensive case management plan that will address those needs.
· Planning – The case manager will determine specific objectives, goals, and actions as identified through the assessment process. The plan should be action oriented and time specific.
· Implementation – The case manager will execute specific intervention that will lead to accomplishing the goals established in the case management plan.
· Coordination – The case manager will organize, integrate, and modify the resources necessary to accomplish the goals established in the case management plan.
· Monitoring – The case manager will gather sufficient information from all relevant sources in order to determine the effectiveness of the case management plan.
· Evaluation – At appropriate and repeated intervals, the case manager will determine the plan’s effectiveness in reaching desired outcomes and goals. This process might lead to a modification or change in the case management plan in its entirety or in any of its component parts.
Case Management Functions
· Conduct a thorough and objective evaluation of the client’s current status including physical, psychosocial, environmental, financial, and health status expectation.
· As a client advocate, seek authorization for case management from the recipient of services (or designee).
· Assess resource utilization and cost management; the diagnosis, past and present treatment; prognosis, goals (short- and long-term).
· Identify opportunities for intervention.
· Set goals and time frames for goals appropriate to individual.
· Arrange, negotiate fees for, and monitor appropriate cases and services for the client.
· Maintain communication and collaborate with patient, family, physicians and health team members, and payer representatives.
· Compare the client’s disease course to established pathways to determine variances and then intervene as indicated.
· Routinely assess client’s status and progress; if progress is static or regressive, determine reason and proactively encourage appropriate adjustments in the care plan, providers and/or services to promote better outcomes.
· Establish measurable goals that promote evaluation of the cost and quality outcomes of the care provider.
· Report quantifiable impact, quality of care and/or quality of life improvements as measured against the case management goals.
· Participate in Inter-reviewer Reliability to identify quality of care issues and criteria inconsistencies.
· Maintain requirements of documentation and caseload as reflected in audits to meet compliance with quality standards.
· Conduct case screenings using applicable tools to determine appropriate levels needed to meet member needs.
· Registered Nurse with active license in the state of Tennessee or hold a license in the state of their residence if the state is participating in the Nurse Licensure Compact Law.
· Minimum of five (5) years health care experience with at least three (3) years of clinical experience,
· Prefer two (2) years experience in Utilization Management, Case Management or Managed Care.
· Certified Case Manager (CCM) is preferred upon employment, and Case Managers are required to obtain certification within 4 years of being hired as a Case Manager.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, with problem-solving abilities.
· Basic PC computer skills required with emphasis on Microsoft Office applications preferred
· Various immunizations and/or associated medical tests may be required for this position.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee (BCBST) is the oldest and largest not-for-profit managed care provider in the state of Tennessee....