This position is responsible for accessing, analyzing and managing all aspects of Health Care information at Peoples Health. This Physician directs and participates in activities associated with the development and implementation of clinical information tools and processes. Reports to VPMA and directly collaborates with CIO and VP of Decision Support to analyze information across the health system.
Directs and manages the development of medical information programs for the Medical Management Department and for Peoples Health. Responsible for accessing the general medical information needs of the Medical Management Department. Develops and directs programs to improve the dissemination of medical information to Peoples Health associates and network physicians and conducts special projects that are aligned with the mission and vision of Peoples Health.
• The primary responsibilities of this position are being a champion for the adoption of information technologies, streamlining report processes, coordinating IT projects to address physician concerns, and working to implement process changes that promote higher-quality healthcare and enhanced member outcomes.
• In the critical role of being a champion, the Medical Director of Healthcare Informatics offers considerable clinical and corporate insight into articulating the value of physicians adopting a new information technology
• In collaboration with the Vice President of Medical Affairs, provides leadership and strategic direction for Medical Informatics Programs for the corporation.
• Should continually review the processes used to produce and disseminate clinical reporting to optimize information systems to identify potential process improvements.
• Consults with and serves as an interface with Medical Management and appropriate committees to ensure the dissemination of current, credible information.
• Serves as the liaison with the division of Information Technology and Decision
• Conducts assessments of the Medical Informatics environment, synthesizes pertinent information, and provides implications for planning and development of Medical Information Programs.
• Provide recommendations relative to the future direction of Medical Informatics.
• Conducts ongoing technology assessment of medical information systems and products. In so doing will provide recommendations to meet present and future needs.
• Conducts research in health care informatics and presents findings to PH
• Collaborates with IT and other key stakeholders to assess associate training needs when developing new health care programs.
• Provides expert support for other departments in the development of clinical information systems, products, and services.
o Advises on issues related to access and interface.
o In collaboration with appropriate staff, advises on pilot testing and education of staff.
o Assists with assessment of vendors.
o Serves as liaison with associates, IT, and PH leadership.
o Assists in developing product specifications.
• Responsible for assessment of needs and implementation of strategies to link educational products, including practice guidelines to the network physicians' offices.
• Collaborates with PH leadership and departments in the development of new and enhanced web-based programs.
• Works closely with the Vice President of Medical Affairs and Chief Information Officer to develop a strategy for medical information systems to meet existing and future needs.
• Acts as a liaison between physicians and information services during IT projects to ensure that physician concerns are addressed and that such projects remain on track. In addition, he or she should help to educate physicians about the use of the new technology.
• Ensures that medical data is accessible wherever needed to enhance the quality of care provided throughout the health system.
• Serves as an advocate for EMR adoption as a liaison to the provider network.
• Provides the physician perspective to the design and build of the electronic medical record to best assure optimal physician workflow and promote practicing to a standard.
• Engages physicians and team members with varying roles including nursing, ancillary department personnel and medical records professionals to contribute to the development and use of the clinical information system.
• Advocates an understanding of physician needs and builds relationships with physicians to gain support of clinical adoption. Must be highly responsive to users' needs, including training, to assure wide spread acceptance and provider use of the clinical systems and presents design decisions and updates to various hospital and regional groups.
• Supports the on-going clinical and business quality improvement through various methods using broad-ranging analysis of data and informatics.
• Provides leadership for physician development, coaching and mentoring of
• Leads and supports the design of system-wide evidence based standardized clinical content and processes around which clinical system
• Participate in clinical advisory groups providing input and engaging with other specialists to improve present programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Medical Affairs.
Education Qualifications and Experience:
Professional / Technical:
• Required to have a Doctorate Degree in Medicine (MD or DO)
• Required to have a certification or a graduate degree in informatics or have a strong background experience in medical informatics.
• Completed an accredited Residency program.
• Board Certification in a specialty preferred.
• Advanced Degree in Informatics (e.g. Masters of Informatics) preferred.
• Experience with the various medical informatics or electronic medical record software including Gerner, Epic, GE, McKesson or Siemens is highly desirable.
• In depth knowledge and experience with computer technology.
• Familiarization with Amisys, CCMS, and CRMS preferred.
• Experienced in the managed care environment.
• Competent in the use of electronic tasks for Quality Management, Medical
Management, and performance improvement activities.
• Current unrestricted active license to practice Medicine in Louisiana or has the ability to obtain a medical license
• Must possess strong program development skills to develop medical informatics.
• Must be able to analyze and assess needs in medical infonnatics. Communication:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to provide technical and educational leadership to associates.
• Must be able to communicate effectively the capabilities and limitations of infonnation technologies.
• Must be experienced in presentations. Other:
• Must be familiar with Microsoft Office products.
• Active participation in National Medical Specialty Association (ACPE, NAMCP), American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) or other Informatics' Associations.
• Ability to influence staff and physicians.
• Goal oriented.
• Acts independently as needed.
• Able to function as a team member.
• Must be able to handle complex projects.
• Ability to meet critical deadlines.
• Is a strategic thinker.
• Possess good communications skills.
• Ability to influence staff and network physicians.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing
• Professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participation in professional societies (i.e. ACPE, NAMCP, etc.)
• Ability to influence staff and network physicians
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participation in professional societies (i.e. ACPE, NAMCP, etc).
• Ability to act in a team environment.
• Ability to act independently when needed.
Peoples Health, Inc. - 21 months ago
The Peoples Health Perspective on Employees
In the face of continued growth, our local roots help us maintain a warm and friendly...