This position is responsible for providing services of both a technical and non-technical nature in the laboratory service areas. Works with considerable independence to perform routine and complex laboratory tests in all assigned departments of the clinical laboratory to provide physicians with rapid and accurate laboratory test results.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Job duties for all positions:
- Follows established procedures to perform all lab tests (including all levels of complexity as defined by CLIA) to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Employee will be cross-trained and competent to perform in multiple areas / disciplines of the lab. Employee seeks out areas that need assistance when the volume of testing in their assigned area is minimal or tasks are completed.
- Assesses acceptability of specimens for analysis and maintains integrity of the specimens throughout the entire testing process.
- Performs set up on all laboratory equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory testing. Performs routine cleaning and preventative maintenance to ensure continued functioning of equipment. Documents all maintenance procedures performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Operates all laboratory equipment per standard operating procedures to ensure accurate patient test results.
- Performs basic troubleshooting, repair, and modification of a wide range of complex instrumentation in assigned laboratory areas.
- Performs calibration procedures on instrumentation per departmental procedures in an accurate and timely manner.
- Adheres to the established quality control policies and procedures in order to guarantee the reliability of data.
- Informs the appropriate supervisor or designee of unusual or unexpected test results after verification and accessing validity of the original test results.
- Recognizes critical and /or life threatening results and notifies the appropriate clinical personnel per hospital policy.
- Assists with the resolution of procedural problems encountered in the daily workload; notifies the supervisor of unusual or recurring problems. Appropriately documents all actions taken.
- Maintains all records and documentation needed to comply with JCAHO, CAP, AABB, Medicare, Medicaid, and HealthAlliance laboratory regulations.
- Assist in the orientation and instruction of new employees and students in clinical laboratory operations and procedures.
- May assist supervisor in preparation for Department and Laboratory wide inspections.
- Completes all competencies, proficiency testing, required education / reading and annual paperwork in a timely manner. Participates in appropriate role in disaster, fire drills, fires and other emergency situations.
- Participates in annual HIPAA training requirements and maintains confidentiality of all personal health information (PHI).
- Communicates in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and visitors in accordance with the CARES Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
- Obtain and process specimens from patients as required using established techniques.
- May assist the lab supervisor in the institution of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques.
- Maintains work areas in a clean, safe and organized manner.
- Assist with maintaining sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties. Notifies appropriate person when supply levels fall to reorder levels.
- Complies with laboratory policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the HealthAlliance Three Pillars: Finance, Quality, and Service Excellence.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES- It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, an organized, clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Requires professional knowledge of medical technology principals and methodologies sufficient to perform clinical laboratory procedures. Requires the ability to endure periods of heavy workload and stress. Requires the ability to accept constructive feedback and initiate appropriate actions to correct situations. Must possess ability to coordinate eyes and hands to fingers rapidly and accurately in making precise movements with speed. Requires the ability to use computer based systems to record, tract, review, and interpret test results.
An associate degree from a regionally accredited college / university in clinical laboratory science and successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Technician program or equivalent is required.
A minimum of 1 year of clinical laboratory experience is preferred by not mandatory.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC. :
Certification from a nationally recognized accreditation agency: NCA, ASCP or equivalent is required.
A recent graduate of an accredited Medical Technician program or equivalent who is certification eligible must take the accreditation exam within the first year of employment.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
- Refer a friend to this job
HealthAlliance Hospital - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard