Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) offers employment opportunities in a variety of settings, including our downtown Minneapolis hospital and clinics, and neighborhood clinics throughout the metro area. We are committed to creating a culturally competent and inclusive work and care environment for patients, families, and staff, and we encourage interested applicants with bilingual and bicultural skills to apply for positions at HCMC.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit (union).
Minimum Education/Work Experience:
Completion of a Laboratory Technician training program approved by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
In some positions an Associate in Arts or Applied Science degree is required.
An approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
Customer service skills
Associate’s degree in a relevant science
MLT (ASCP) or equivalent registration or has completed a technician training program in a school accredited/approved by HHS, or MLT eligible under Medicare laboratory regulations.
Four months’ clinical laboratory internship
Certified or eligible for certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician (ASCP) through written examination or approved equivalent. For moderately complex laboratories an AMT (American Medical Technologist) Medical Laboratory Technician certificate is also acceptable.
As a condition of employment, an employee hired on an "or eligible" status must take the first available examination after their date of hire, and such employee must pass one of these nationally approved certifying exams within three consecutive administrations of the exam within a 12 month period
1. Perform standard procedures in patient identification
2. Perform blood drawing procedure including venipuncture and capillary collection.
3. Document specimen collections according to standard procedures in hospital information system and label specimen accurately.
4. Perform routine clinical diagnostic laboratory tests in one or more sections of the clinical laboratory.
5. Use lab computer to accurately report tests in a timely manner results according to established protocol.
6. Recognize abnormal or unusual test results, communicate such results and follow established procedures for reporting critical/panic values to appropriate personnel.
7. Operate, conduct performance checks on, calibrate and maintain testing equipment and instrumentation.
8. Perform quality control procedures, monitor results, notify supervisor of discrepancies and make corrections within predetermined guidelines.
9. Troubleshoot instruments, reagents and patient specimen problems as they occur. Notify supervisor if unable to resolve
10. Assist in training new employees and teaching students.
11. Accurately record data in appropriate records and logs, such as lot numbers, calibration data, and
control values, etc
12. Demonstrate patient and family centered behaviors
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin County Medical Center for your employment! HCMC offers a wealth of opportunities for our ever-changing population and is a place you'll feel challenged, rewarded, and appreciated. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities for both current and future employees, who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. Thanks for choosing HCMC!
HCMC has the following Success Factors that apply to all our employees to ensure competency. They are: exhibits accountability, demonstrates ethics and trustworthiness, delivers customer service, embraces differences, uses resources wisely, communicates clearly, builds and strengthens relationships, champions change and seeks continuous growth. Employees must be able to demonstrate competency in these areas.
Please Note: external applicants selected for an interview with Hennepin County Medical Center must provide data for a Criminal Background Study. Offers of employment from Hennepin County Medical Center are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background studies.
Hennepin County Medical Center - 12 months ago