WENATCHEE VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER
JOB TITLE: Medical Laboratory Technician (1309) REVISED: October 18, 2010
DEPARTMENT: Laboratory REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager
LOCATION: Wenatchee Valley Medical Center OSHA CLASS: 1
OVERALL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To perform laboratory testing with a minimum of supervision.
1. Functions under supervision of Medical Technologist, Supervisor, or Pathologist.
2. Rotates in different bench areas of the laboratory as assigned by the Supervisor; rotations include coverage on evenings and weekends, as required.
3. Practices quality control for all laboratory procedures.
4. Performs venipunctures and capillary sticks and assists in specimen processing area.
5. Assists in the preparation of new procedures, and reagent preparation.
6. Assists with specimen computer entry and processing.
7. Maintains clean work areas.
8. Assists in orienting new staff members, and in training students and lab assistants.
9. Annually reviews test procedures and participates in periodic competency testing.
10. Attends general laboratory meetings and other continuing education sessions.
NOTE: This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that your supervisor may deem necessary.
Associate’s degree in Medical Technology required
One year experience as an MLT in the performance of general or specific lab testing preferred
ASCP or CLS/NCA registry for MLT required, or registry eligible.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Proficiency in the performance of basic lab testing required
Prior experience with computerization preferred.
This position involves an equal amount of standing and sitting in the performance of routine duties. Good manual dexterity, use of a computer keyboard is required. Excellent hand/eye coordination is also required.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
Heavy workloads and daily pressure to quickly perform STAT procedures is a constant source of mental and physical stress. The work environment can often become noisy and interruptions can be expected.
HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
Updates CPR skills on an annual basis. Understands and complies with Clinic safety procedures including code and evacuation procedures. Complies with Clinic/Department standards pertaining to the use of sick leave and unpaid absences due to medical reasons. Understands and follows all universal blood and body fluids precautions and associated engineering and work practice controls and personal protective equipment requirements. Must not pose a threat to the safety and health of self or others. Must accurately process patient specimens; specimen mix-ups or errors will result in inaccurate patient test results and the probable need to have specimens recollected from the patients.
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center - 18 months ago
Whether it's a quick trip to the clinic or a visit to the hospital, Wenatchee Valley Medical Center (WVMC) has Pacific Northwesterners...