Description/Job Summary Provides clerical/administrative support in wards, clinics, or other departments of a medical treatment facility, major command or Air Force staff office.
Responsibilities/Duties - Greets patients/visitors at a front desk, information center or office setting.
- Answers main office phone line. Directs telephone calls to appropriate section for assistance. Takes messages as required.
- Arranges and schedules medical appointments and determines patient eligibility for services. Determine patient eligibility, schedule appointments, relay general instructions to patients, or make referrals to other sections.
- Obtains updates and files medical records as needed.
- Organizes and researches patient records, extract needed information, and review records for completeness, accuracy, and consistency within established guidelines.
- Ensures arrival of medical records prior to appointment(s).
- Initiates and locates patient medical records as needed.
- Obtains documentation as requested by healthcare providers (test results, or documentation not yet filed in records).
- Performs other administrative and clerical duties in support of the medical care and operational support.
- Creates appointment schedules and templates in patient appointment computer system.
- Conducts end-of-day process at close of business and resolves any delinquent or pending appointments in computer system.
Preferred Skills A fully qualified typist with a minimum of 50 WPM is required. General medical ethics, telephone etiquette, and excellent communication and customer service skills. General office administrative and clerical skills to perform receptionist duties and answer telephones. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Preferred Experience At least 6 months of experience in office setting.
Preferred Education High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalency. Medical terminology desired.