Lawndale Christian Health Center (LCHC) is a non-profit, faith-based health center dedicated to improving the health of Lawndale and the neighboring communities on Chicago's West Side. Our patients are predominantly African-American and Latino living on the Westside of Chicago in the North and South Lawndale neighborhoods. This paid internship is geared towards college graduates who are interested in serving in an urban, multicultural healthcare environment and who wish to pursue a career in medicine. Interning at LCHC will allow you to grow spiritually while building practical skills and real world experience in an urban setting.
All interns will assist the Medical Directors with a variety of administrative tasks. Not all tasks will necessarily be performed by a single intern, and the position will vary by the current needs of the clinic as determined by the Medical Directors. One year commitment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Quality Intern
1. Assist the Medical Director of Clinical Quality with a variety of administrative tasks focused on clinical quality and the Electronic Medical Record.
2. Run reports pertaining to clinical quality and take the appropriate action to ensure patients are receiving appropriate care.
3. Assist with developing strategies to meet requirements for Meaningful Use, Patient Centered Medical Home, and other grants, and track and document progress for those measures.
4. Perform reports pertaining to the maintenance of the EMR. Reports will need to be both maintained and created to assess data and order entry quality, electronic records' credibility, accuracy of interfaces, and other miscellaneous issues pertaining to clinical quality of the EMR.
5. Assist with training of staff and rotating students on EMR functionality.
6. Help with set-up, implementation, and maintenance of new functionality, product upgrades and processes in the EMR.
7. Assist EMR Manager in building clinical content and maintaining user access and privileges in the EMR. These responsibilities may include creating handouts and letters for various departments, assisting with form modification, and helping with downtime procedures.
8. Provide clinical EMR support. This includes answering the EMR Help Desk phone, checking and responding to the EMR Help Desk desktop in Centricity, and checking and responding to the EMR Help Desk and MyHealth (portal) emails.
9. Aid in data entry or data remediation, as needed.
Medical Operations Assistant
1. Evaluate Provider Productivity and consult with Medical Director of Operations.
2. Gain a firm understanding of clinic operations and apply knowledge to different projects, assignments, and initiatives as requested by the Medical Director of Operations.
3. Work closely with Care Coordinators to generate recommendations for higher clinic operating efficiency.
4. Schedule, prepare agenda for, and summarize Care Coordinator meetings.
5. Work with the Senior Leadership in communicating policies, agendas, and programs to other LCHC staff.
6. Serve as the communications point person between LCHC and external healthcare establishments, civic education programs, etc.
7. Perform miscellaneous tasks as needed by the Medical Director of Operations and LCHC.
8. Set up and order food for meetings.
Required Skills or Abilities
Ability to work with Microsoft Windows, Access, Excel
Ability to work in multi-cultural setting
Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission of the Lawndale Christian Health Center
Ability to collaborate and interact with a diverse group of health care professionals
Ability to organize, problem solve, and handle multiple tasks
Ability to work under stress in high-pressure atmosphere
Ability to initiate and complete involved projects – especially as it concerns implementation of ideas.
Ability to encourage and support clinical staff struggling with the demands and newness of operational change.
Desire to serve in an underserved community.
Required Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure/Registration
Bachelor's Degree required.