Indiana University Health’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and community through innovation and excellence in care, education, research and service.
Core Values are;
- Total patient care, including mind, body and spirit
- Quality of care and respect for life
- Charity, equality and justice in health care
- Leadership in health promotion and wellness
- Trust, Excellence, Accountability and Mutual Respect
Under the direction of the office manager, functions as the initial contact for the entire office. Primary responsibilities will include answering all incoming calls, making patient appointments, relaying messages and directing calls to the appropriate staff. Position will also include patient check in and check out responsibilities. This position will require all tasks to be performed in a professional and courteous manner. Follows established I.U. Health Southern Indiana Physicians' policies and procedures as related to the front office. Assists providers and other staff in coordination of patient care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The right person for this organization will be solution oriented and work well in a team environment.
- Greets patients and visitors in a polite, prompt and helpful manner and provides instructions and directions as needed.
- Answers telephone calls in friendly and knowledgeable manner.
- Maintains patient schedules by booking, coordinating and rescheduling patient appointments as needed.
- Obtains and enters patient information, as necessary, in the medical billing system.
- Verifies that current insurance information is on file for each visit.
- Copies/scans patient insurance cards and photo identification cards according to policy.
- Responsible for pulling charts in a timely manner for appointments, test results, prescription requests, phone messages and any patient information received in the mail.
- Insures accurate filing of patient charts in designated chart area in a timely manner.
- Accurately assigns ICD-9 and CPT codes and posts services as necessary.
- Collects all patient co-pays and outstanding balances according to policy.
- Balances receipts and/or charges each day.
- Responsible for processing medical records requests according to HIPPA guidelines.
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality while complying with government regulatory guidelines including HIPAA, OSHA CLIA, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
- Performs telephone triage utilizing approved criteria.
- Assists in the orientation of new personnel when requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Maintains current skills and job knowledge through reading, training and other educational opportunities as available.
- Demonstrates acceptable time management techniques.
- Demonstrates ability in handling confidential information as it relates to patients, physicians, co-workers and any other information as deemed necessary.
- Oral communication skills needed to develop patient rapport, discuss issues with providers, co-workers, patients, patients’ families and external customers.
- Written communication skills necessary for medical record documentation and other documentation needs as required.
- Demonstrates essential clerical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in high pressure situations.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to various work assignments.
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of one year clerical experience required.
- Previous clinical office experience preferred.
- BLS certification/re-certification as required.
This job description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, skills and working conditions may change as needs change.
- Ability to perform moderate physical activity for extended periods of time.
Bloomington Hospital is dedicated to serving the entire community. We recognize that some of our patients may need assistance when...