GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for greeting customers, providing information and communicating with departments. Answers telephones in a professional manner, screens calls efficiently, takes complete and accurate phone messages using the proper forms and format and distributes calls and messages to appropriate party. Is capable of scheduling appointments. Collection of all co-pays, co-insurance percentages and deductibles at the time service is rendered. Assists with the maintenance of medical records.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Clinic Supervisor
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
1. Answers telephone, screens calls, refers callers/visitors to appropriate individuals.
2. Completes necessary paperwork such as encounter forms, parking validations, and insurance verification. Uses computer system to generate information necessary for billing.
3. Maintains clean, orderly waiting area.
4. Supplements office staff as reception tasks permit by assisting with photocopying, computer input/typing, and preparation of medical records and verification of insurance benefits.
5. Maintain confidentiality of all current and former patients/charts as required by clinic policy and governing laws.
6. Maintain proper attendance and punctuality to ensure that the clinic is operated in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
7. Attend clinic staff meetings as required. Participates in educational activities and programs.
8. Be expected to utilize spare time in work-related activities, which contribute to the clinic’s needs.
9. Be expected to coordinate efforts for more effective work with others in a manner that is productive. Always be courteous and helpful.
10. Be depended on to modify work schedule and work location as required by clinic and according to policy.
11. Maintains strictest confidentiality.
1. Knowledge of reception tasks, clinic policies/procedures, paperwork, ICD-9 and CPT coding, computer system.
2. Knowledge of how to use office equipment including multi-line phone, computer, fax and copier.
3. Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques.
1. Skill in using office equipment satisfactorily and handling paperwork. Preparing and filing medical records accurately.
2. Skill in customer service principles by creating a pleasant waiting room atmosphere.
1. Ability to effective communicate clearly in person and on the phone, and establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, physicians, staff and other customers.
2. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
3. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Office setting is well lighted and well ventilated with adequate space. Office is a non-smoking environment.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may vary as needs evolve.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one-year experience in customer service setting, preferably one year receptionist experience in healthcare setting, and experience with office equipment.
REQUIREMENTS: May be required to change work assignment location from time to time, as company needs demand. 50 wpm typing skill preferred. Keep current and adhere to all policies and procedures as enumerated in the clinic Policy and Procedure Manual and the Employee Handbook.
1. Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing is required.
2. May be required to sit for long periods of time, up to 7 or 8 hours per day
3. May be required to lift up to 15 pounds
4. May be required to view computer screens for long periods.
5. Must have good eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
6. Must be able to handle stressful situations resulting from diverse customers and demands.