Under general supervision, processes requests for authorized release of Medical Information as it relates to the Finance Department and Hospital reimbursement. All protocols on release of information and HIPAA guidelines shall be adhered to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Interprets and implements hospital policies relating to disclosure of health information.
2. 2. Analyzes and answers correspondence requests in compliance with applicable hospital,
governmental policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
3. 3. Prepares incoming correspondence for processing: - Opens and date stamps mail;
Enters appropriate data into computerized system following hospital procedure;
Contacts physicians and/or other departments regarding requested information, when appropriate.
4. Prepares records for mailing: -Copies or creates electronic copy of appropriate portions of the records;
Charges appropriate fees, if applicable;Scans authorization form.
5. 5. Reviews, screens and copies subpoenaed records.
6. 6. Creates paper copy or electronic copy of subpoenaed records.
7. 7. Assists all walk-ins with requests for their medical records.
8. 8. Retrieves and copies Business Office requests.
9. 9. Creates new registration profile for physicians responsible for completion of electronic death
registration system. Responsible for assisting physician during completion of the required
fields required by Department of Health.
10. 10. Monitors, generates reports, and provides follow up to ensure all death certificates are
accurately completed and transmitted electronically to Department of Health in a timely
manner and in accordance with DOH and Department policies and procedures.
11. 11. Monitors and reports status of completion of the autopsy consent form. Communicates with
Hospital morgue when family consents to autopsy.
12. 12. Communicates with the Funeral Home and provides feedback during the death certificate
13. 13. Performs other related duties as directed by manager.
*High School Diploma / GED required.
*Associate degree in health information technology or related health care field is preferred.
*Knowledge in medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology, medico-legal and regulatory record requirements is required.
RHIT or RHIA (Certification)Preferred
Proficiency with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office applications such as Word, Excel. Able to work well with minimal supervision.
*Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible.
*Able to communicate clearly both written and verbally. Must be able to communicate effectively with many different types of customers and co-workers. Able to maintain positive and productive relationships with internal and external teams and customers.
.Detailed work. Requires the ability to concentrate for long periods of time while dealing with distractions.
*Required to have 3 years medical record experience in a health care setting and experience with an electronic medical record preferred. An Associate degree in Health Information Technology or other health related field may be accepted in lieu of experience.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds.
Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
Mount Sinai Medical Center - 9 months ago
Mount Sinai Medical Center