This unit supports sixteen (16) primary specialty services of the Health and Wellness Center and the Terry Center. The primary function of the organizational unit is to ensure that all patient visits (inpatient/outpatient) are properly documented to justify any treatment or service rendered.
The unit is responsible for preparing, assembling, and analyzing all patient visits and information contained within each patient record. The unit is also responsible for safeguarding the patient record; validating and complying with Release of Information requests; local, state, federal reporting requirements. The coding of diagnosis and procedures via the SNOMED coding nomenclature is also performed by this position to support concurrent and retrospective studies to support clinical research initiatives and the House Officer Program.
Essential Job Duties
The primary purpose of this position is to process, analyze, audit, assemble, file, all patient data/files etc. of the patient experience at Veterinary Health Complex ( VHC ). Additionally, this position manages supplemental information received and related to the patient’s inpatient/outpatient visit.
The coding of diagnosis and procedures via the SNOMED coding nomenclature is also performed by this position to support concurrent and retrospective studies of clinical research initiatives and the House Officer Program.
- Perform special department projects; i.e. purging records and have the ability to lift file boxes that weigh approximately 30 lbs.
- All job functions are high volume, repetitive tasks involving repetitive motion; i.e. keyboard data entry, filing, record assembly, purging records.
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year of related office experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Departmental Required Skills
- Ability to process information via written form or electronic/computer.
- Computer data entry skills & ability to work with various databases.
- Ability to file reports and medical charts in terminal digit order and process a high volume of work.
- Ability to perform data analysis of discharged charts daily; determining data deficiencies, identifying errors, missing reports etc.
- Excellent communication and people skills to interface with internal and external customer service requests.
- Excellent team player.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Ability to code the patient information using SNOMED Coding Nomenclature.
- Previous experience of working in a veterinary/medical office setting.
- Excellent computer and data entry skills
- Experience with filing in a terminal digit filing system.
- Prefer good knowledge of Veterinary/medical terminology.
- Medical coding experience – SNOMED
- Prefer Health Information Technology program candidate or equivalent experience/knowledge from human medical and/or veterinary medical field.
- Good working knowledge of medical/veterinary terminology.
Required License or Certification
North Carolina State University - 19 months ago