This individual will utilize knowledge and expertise of ICD-9-CM and/or ICD-10-CM to ensure that the assignment of coding is appropriate and consistent with official coding guidelines and Medicare policies. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Review, re-abstract, and recode hospital and physician office medical records to validate that data received is substantiated by information in the medical record.
- Use of encoder and abstraction software in addition to the ICD-9-CM and/or ICD-10-CM coding manual to accurately capture all relevant conditions documented in the medical record.
- Potential for travel to review sites for future projects.
Please apply by submitting resume, cover letter and salary requirements
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in the coding of general acute hospital (inpatient and outpatient), multi-specialty physician office, or Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) medical records, with high Medicare patient volumes.
- Experience with HCC codes is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively to physicians, senior health information specialists and administrative personnel.
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Internet search capability.
- Technical knowledge of ICD-9-CM and/or ICD-10-CM coding with ability to pass pre-employment and ongoing coding accuracy standards.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.