Assumes, under the direction of the Director, Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance. Accurately and promptly performs a variety of chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Responds to physicians and hospital staff in a professional manner, remembering that patient care is our first concern.
- Performs laboratory procedures in a timely manner, documents required information and communications to primary physician and direct care staff any pertinent information.
- Coordinates and assists in the care of patients to deliver timely, high quality patient testing results.
- Collaborates with staff, physicians, patients and family members to provide information necessary to provide high quality patient care.
- Responds to physicians and hospital staff in a professional manner. Demonstrates positive interpersonal communication skills when relating to external customers. Is effective in interacting with and problem solving.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism towards patients. Informs and explains procedures to patients and what is expected in terms of his/her cooperation.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information.
- Provides comprehensive direct patient care and assures a safe and comforting environment.
- Applies the principles of Performance Improvement and works in a team environment to improve patient outcomes.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Complies with established quality control procedures. Takes and recommends corrective action and ensures proper documentation.
- Completes proficiency surveys as assigned within the time frame given for completion. Adheres to all established procedures on handling and processing survey material. Assists in the review of survey results, implements corrective action, and participates in remedial training as assigned by the Team Leader, Laboratory.
- Complies with established maintenance and troubleshooting guidelines, and documents preventative maintenance for all patient testing equipment. Ensures equipment is in good working order and promptly reports malfunctions or suspicious performance. Recognizes malfunctions and takes appropriate corrective action. Assists in validation of instrument and test performance in compliance with regulatory agencies and manufacturers recommendations.
- Gives input to Team Leader, Laboratory concerning operational and capital budget planning and implementation. Effective in cost control and resource utilization.
- Assists the Team Leader, Laboratory as requested in competency assessment, review and update of job descriptions, performance evaluation functions and procedure manual revisions.
- Serves as a resource to hospital staff concerning Clinical Laboratory services and patient test result interpretation. Appropriately refers questions that are beyond the scope of service and knowledge.
- Accepts assignment of responsibilities within the Point of Care testing program as requested by the Team Leader, Laboratory.
- Assists in the development and on going performance of the information systems.
- Assists in the selection of equipment, supplies or other resources for departmental operation.
- Education: Associate degree or equivalent in medical technology required.
- Licensure/ Certification: ASCP or eligible or equivalent registry.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years generalist clinical laboratory experience preferred. New graduates may be considered at the discretion of the Director, Laboratory.