Responsible for specimen processing, test performance, and test result reporting in a highly complex Laboratory, as defined by CLIA-88.
Meets the minimum qualifications of testing personnel in a highly complex Laboratory, as defined in 493.1489 of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA).
Previously qualified or could have qualified as a Medical Technologist under 42 CFR 493.1433 published in March 14, 1990 (55 FR 9538), on or before February 28, 1992, or
Professional registry as a Medical Technologist by the American Society of Pathology (ASCP), National Certification Agency (NCA), American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or Federal government (HEW)
Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served by Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation.
Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span (infant/pediatric/adolescent/adult/geriatric).
Assess data reflective of the patients' status
Interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age specific needs
Provide the care needed as described in Laboratory procedures
Follow the testing personnel responsibility standard defined in 493.1495 of CLIA-88
Each individual performs only those high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities
Each individual performing high complexity testing must:
Perform and record all required instrument maintenance and calibration activities
Follow the Laboratory's established procedures whenever test systems are not within the Laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance
Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results
- Follow the Laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Follow all of the Laboratory’s Quality Assurance procedures
Prepare specimens for send out to various Laboratories
Log test results from send out Laboratories in the appropriate patient files
Disseminate test results to the appropriate individuals and departments
Perform or assist with specimen collection
- Correct the problem(s), or
- Report the problem(s) to the Laboratory Manager or the Laboratory Medical Director
- Document all corrective actions taken to correct problem(s)
Take call for the Laboratory during the hours that the Laboratory is not routinely staffed
Adhere to Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation policies and procedures
Perform other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Manager
- Phlebotomies (blood draws) from patients of all ages and physical conditions
- Give patients and providers directions in collecting urine, sputum, stool, and other specimens
Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation - 22 months ago