The Medical Technologist performs all approved laboratory procedures in assigned areas of licensure. The position requires exercise of independent judgment under minimum or moderate degree of supervision. The work customarily involves any testing which may require a high degree of theoretical knowledge and technical expertise in licensed areas.
1. Maintains confidentiality of all Protected Health Information.
2. Follows established policies and procedures and fulfills regulatory requirements at all times.
3. Evaluates specimen integrity and identification prior to performing testing.
4. Accurately performs laboratory testing within specified turn-around-time requirements.
5. Actively and quickly investigates specimen problems and takes all steps necessary to resolve.
6. Performs all maintenance, quality control, corrective action and calibration procedures as required.
7. Performs analyzer troubleshooting procedures as required.
8. Reports critical test results within 30 minutes of completion, requests verbal read back and documents same.
9. Reports reference laboratory tests within specified time frames.
10. Monitors Tracker and investigates and resolves delays.
11. Carefully reviews and signs policies/procedures within specified time limits.
12. Assists Technical Supervisor with evaluation of new methods, lot crossovers, and other projects as requested.
13. Maintains adequate inventory of reagents and supplies and notifies Technical Supervisor when reagents and supplies are running low.
14. Ensures continuation of care across shifts by providing and receiving shift report at each shift change.
15. Provides technical guidance to phlebotomists, nurses and physicians.
16. Communicates technical and procedural problems to Technical Supervisor, Director, Emergency Department and House Supervisor as needed.
17. Answers phone and assists customers in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
18. Performs all required documentation.
19. Maintains a clean and organized work space.
20. Assists with specimen processing when needed.
21. Performs clerical duties as needed.
22. Fosters teamwork through participation in department activities and committees.
23. Actively seeks to improve knowledge, skills and abilities.
24. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
25. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
26. Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
27. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
28. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
29. Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
30. Other duties as assigned.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: (list required and preferred separately)
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
- National Medical Technologist (ASCP) certification preferred
- State of Florida Medical Technologist license required
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Two years experience as Medical Technologist preferred
- Customer relations
- Read/comprehend written instructions
- Follows verbal instructions
- Basic computer skills
- Manage stress appropriately
- Make decisions under pressure
- Manage anger, fear, hostility and violence of others appropriately
- Handle multiple priorities
- Work alone
- Work in areas that are confined and crowded
HCA Inc - 12 months ago
HCA dispenses TLC for a profit. HCA Holdings, through HCA, Inc. (Hospital Corporation of America) operates more than 160 acute care,...