3rd Shift M-F (11:00pm to 7:30am)
Rotate weekends, holidays, and shifts as necessary
Performs basic through advanced testing procedures on patient and/or donor samples and interprets results in accordance with regulatory guidelines and organizational policies and procedures.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the duties and responsibilities performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Performs the essential functions of the Lab Technician and Lab Assistant as needed.
- Accepts, verifies and processes incoming blood and blood components or samples of the same
- Performs and interprets various testing procedures on donor and patient specimens as well as blood products, repeating tests where appropriate
- Maintains and monitors required records and files, written or electronic
- Performs quality control, equipment maintenance and calibration as required
- Identifies and resolves potential patient care issues related to transfusion
- Provides oversight and direction of Lab Assistants and Lab Technicians as required
- Mentors and train other laboratory employees as required
- Utilizes computer system to obtain necessary data and to record test results
- Participates in the ongoing monitoring for each testing process to identify errors or potential problems leading to errors and takes effective and preventive corrective actions when indicated
- Participates in an on-call rotation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in a biological science or related scientific field from an accredited college or universit y or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training and or experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND DESIGNATIONS:
Valid and current Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist license in Immunohematology or Blood Banking. In certain specialty laboratories performing HLA, molecular testing or patient testing, other Florida licenses may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of and ability to read technical procedures and governmental regulations
- Ability to organize work for timely completion
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to read, write and speak English effectively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Skill in operating office equipment
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Ability to commute with personal transportation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Ability to periodically perform moderately physically demanding work, usually involving lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling moderately heavy objects and materials (up to 50 pounds). (Tasks that require moving objects of significant weight require the assistance of another person and/or use of proper techniques and moving equipment.) Tasks may involve some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching. ,crawling or prolonged sitting or standing.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Functions are regularly performed inside and/or outside with potential for exposure to adverse conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, fumes and/or poor ventilation, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, machinery and/or moving vehicles, vibrations, electric currents, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, gases or chemicals, oils and other cutting fluids, violence and/or disease, or pathogenic substances.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING:
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
OneBlood, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with United States Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, OneBlood, Inc. provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
OneBlood - 14 months ago
Community Blood Centers of South Florida, Inc. provides over 75% of the blood transfusion needs for Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and...